Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Windows Whistler
Christian Studer   2001-02-03 05:42
Whistler is the next version of Windows, expected to be available later this year. So far it looks like it will be an excellent update, but there is one important issue for multi-monitor users: the Personal (home user) edition does not support multiple monitors! Read the full preview here.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
ninken   2001-02-04 04:20
Oh so Microsoft thinks that they should make people pay more professional tools in there windows? Now we will be getting 50 different version of windows like there is for Office 2000.
Most of this is dued to the sliptting them up into two now it hurts up in the pocket for good updates.
Christian Wilhelm   2001-02-06 01:36
Is there a better dualhead graphic card support such as in Win9X? Is it possible to choose different resolutions with a dualhead?

Ghent
Christian Studer   2001-02-08 09:16
I doubt it, but I don't know for sure. At least the default Whistler drivers for my dual-head Rage Mobility don't support multi-monitor operation, just like on Win2000.

Other Whistler news:
looks like the final name for Whistler will be Windows XP, XP stands for Experience. Found this in the Whistler newsgroups:
microsoft.public.whistler.personal.general
microsoft.public.whistler.professional.general
microsoft.public.whistler.advanced-server.general

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Christian Studer   2001-04-04 03:49
Dualhead update: just saw this on the feature comparison page for Windows XP Pro:

DualView: A single computer desktop can be displayed on two monitors driven off of a single display adapter. With a laptop computer, a user could run the internal LCD display as well as an external monitor. There are a variety of high-end display adapters that will support this functionality for desktops.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Christian Studer   2001-04-10 09:55
Just installed Beta 2 on my laptop, still no multi-monitor support for the ATI Mobility :(

More on Beta 2 this weekend.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Chris M   2001-04-20 02:06
Nvidia seems to treat Whistler exactly as 2k...i.e stretch the desktop across 2 screens, no independent resolution/freq rates, etc.. etc...

No good.
Sharon Fink   2001-04-28 11:15
Using a RadeonVE and ATI's beta drivers with XP Beta 2. No luck getting an extended desktop yet. (No checkbox for it in Display properties!)After a bit of tinkering finally got all hardware recognized but monitors are only mirroring at this point.

Saw another post here reporting success by installing the beta drivers, Hydravision and then Multimedia Center 7.1. Am going to try that install sequence next and see if it helps. Same hardware works perfectly under WinME so am hoping that's a good sign meaning that it will be ok in XP eventually.

Sharon
Norman Brooks   2001-04-28 12:41
Just tried xP on my big machine here with the Radeon VE and it was a mess .. as you said, no option for dual display, just mirroring.
It really was a mess on this machine.

Just finished playing with xP on my wife's laptop and it was awesome the way it picked up EVERYTHING from screen size/settings and sounds, to mouse drivers, network installed flawlessly, with ie and outlook express.... everything but the dbl click on the wheel mouse and the one touch buttons which (I'm sure) is something HP will have to modify.

Just amazing how xP can install so differently on two machines !

nbrooks@accesscable.net
manji   2001-04-28 13:34
anyone here get the multi-monitor support for the RadeonVE under win2k? not just mirroring? works fine in Me.. :(

thanks in advance.

========
manji
Sharon Fink   2001-05-02 10:36
Glad you enjoyed installing XP and trying it out. This is definitely an interesting version of Windows.

For my desktop system I tried every mix-match I could with drivers (out of the box, XP and ATI's Beta). Hydravsion installed and uninstalled!

Finally managed to get the extended desktop working. It shows up with just the ATI beta drivers installed. Adding Hydravision only stops dialog boxes from straddling the screens.

Bad news: had to re-enable the second monitor in Display>Advanced at EVERY startup to expand the desktop. Refresh rates weren't great either.

For now, I'll stick with ME for multi-monitor work. When I want to explore XP (dual boot setup) I simply switch the second monitor off.

Thanks for trying this too Norman. At least now I know it's a case of "wait and see" instead of a setting I messed up or missed.

Sharon
Norman Brooks   2001-05-12 13:04
Sorry you're still having problems. I am having no major problems in W2K at all. What there is is very minor. If I had two disparate sized monitors (15" and 19" for instance) having to keep them both at 1024x768 might be a nuisance but with 17" flat screen and a 19" viewsonic it is excellent. I can run (without multimon) every app in either monitor (ICQ, TV etc). The only exception is running "full screen" straddles both monitors so you have to use the 'snap to' feature.
The new drivers are 2 or 3 times faster, I get 50 frames per second with Descent 3 at 800x600. Flight Sim at 1280x1024x16 is awesome.

Everything boots up fine, the only thing I have to do is drag my second picture from the primary monitor to the second monitor when things are finished booting.

Virtually the same thing in xP but after a half hour or so the video starts to disintegrate ! So I guess there are still issues in xP.

I believe right now, this is the most difficult video card to set up, mostly because ATI couldn't write an installation manual if their life depended on it. Once you've got it running though, I think it is the best dual head card available !

nbrooks@accesscable.net
phil   2001-05-22 02:47
I'm using a Appian Graphics Jeronimo Pro Dual in XP and It's Works Perfectly. I haven't had any problems yet...

phil
Delta X-10   2001-05-25 00:36
I carn't even start windows XP with 2 video cards gives me a BSOD befoure it get to the loggin screen.
Sandro   2001-06-14 00:46
Radeon VE on 2K & XP Beta 2 Italian.

I have tried ATI raden VE on 2K, quite everuthing ok, some crash, but I have only tried in mirroring. (With original e update cversion of driver, but not with beta driver)

I tried ati driver on xp, but the system crash, it only see the default driver, that are not multimonitor.
I'm attempting now to download the newest driver for ati and i'll try a new test, if someone have some ideas to tell me about please amail me!

Bye all
Sandro
Joe Lianes   2001-07-05 23:32
What about Nvidia and Twinview will it be like the matrox cards and have independent screens, freq, and resolutions?
Kristian   2001-07-07 09:58
has there been any luck with true multi-monitor support in Windows XP RC1 while using Twinview?

~k
Jordon   2001-07-08 14:19
Whats the deal with XP, is it avail. in the US, or what - hows everyone getting their hands on it?
sebastien   2001-07-09 01:06
The rc1 release has been floating around the web, especially after a link was published. For a while you could download a full image from conxion of the rc1 release. After it was published on the register they stopped it. It's not publicly available yet.
Boud   2001-07-27 02:14
I've got Asus7100 twinview. with Geforce2mx
Twinview is not supported on WINDOWS XP..
I've tried...doesnt work
Christian Studer   2001-08-01 21:43
Just installed RC2 on my laptop, still no multi-monitor support for the ATI RAGE MOBILITY.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Rob   2001-09-02 09:56
I have XP 2600 Corporate. Still can only mirror with Dell OEM ATI Mobility. Tried UltraMon 2 Beta. does absolutely nothing. Any suggestions other then buying PMCIA video card that may or may not work with XP.

Rob
Christian Studer   2001-09-02 10:12
It's still possible that ATI/Dell will release drivers with multimon support later. Don't know how likely it is though, especially for the older Rage Mobility cards.

As for PCMCIA video cards: Margi is working on XP support, the latest drivers (2.07) already have experimental XP support. I gave it a try on my Dell with XP RC2, but couldn't get it to work. Don't know if the Appian Traveler works on XP.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Heath   2001-09-08 13:51
I have XP 2600 Corporate running on a Gateway with a ATI Mobility. No luck at all getting the second monitor up and running. Works no problems at all under Windows Me??
atrelio   2001-09-15 21:49
Hi there!

Is it possible to use a Genoa Phantom64 (S3 Vision868) PCI w Asus 7100Pro (nVidia MX400) AGP for dual monitoring under XP? How? I just cannot do it and I'm really angry... anyway, my motherboard is Asus CUSL-2C Black Pearl (i815EP)

I've already 'tweaked' the BIOS (read: Primary VGA Card turned for AGP), installed a couple of times the XP but there is always that annoying yellow exclamation mark next to the "S3 Vision868" in the device manager. So? Any idea? There is no IRQ conflict, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance.

atrelio
vladimere   2001-09-16 15:27
havent messed with it a whole lot but as of right now im am having problems with dual monitors in XP, i have an ATI all in wonder radeon. and two diamond 4 megs cards, window xp uses its own driver for the ATI card and wont properly load the drivers for the other two cards. When i try the 2000 drivers from ATI's website in XP it looks like it would work but when you restart XP starts FREAKIN out..then i have to go back to the original driver XP provided.. then back the square one..
Christian Studer   2001-09-22 11:51
Update on the ATI Rage Mobility: still no multi-monitor support with XP final. It's possible though that updated drivers may be released later, this is from a Compaq support document: "This feature will be supported with the release of enhanced Windows XP video drivers. Windows XP compatible device drivers will be available in the 4th Quarter of 2001." The document is available here.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
iso   2001-09-25 03:13
I installed WinXP pro and I didn't get to work Multiple monitors at all. XP is the most buggy win i've ever seen!
@hlon   2001-09-25 19:01
Odd, ive been using it for almost a year as my main OS, id say its actually the best OS that M$ have ever made.
rfully   2001-10-02 01:10
I have been using XP on my DELL laptop with only one problem. If i try to use the Win 2000 driver it justs keeps crashing the system.I have an ATI Mobility 4 so i wish DELL or ATI would hurry up and release a driver for XP for christ sake!!!
Brian   2001-10-10 10:27
I have a laptop with an ATI mobility chipsetm running xp pro 2600..tried 2k drivers, didnt work, they better hurry up.
Brian   2001-10-10 10:28
forgot to add, mirroring work fine..
jack brady   2001-10-10 20:26
Hi,

I just bought a compaq 1720us lap top with the ati radeon chip. The computer came with windows xp home eddition. I was excited cause the compaq web site said that the new video card supported up to three display devices at the same time!! Wow, kewl, I bought the computer.

So now after about three hours of trying to figure out why I can't get the multi monitor setup to work, I stumbled accross this forum, and unfortunately my questions are answered. I'm going to call compaq tommorrow, and if they can't get their act together, I'll probably just return the computer. Too bad, cause it really is a nice computer, but I have to have multi monitor support for what I do.

Anyhow, good luck with the driver search.

Jack Brady.....
Brian   2001-10-11 11:39
If you can wait til October 25th, keep the laptop: Customers who own an existing ATI graphics board or are about to buy a new ATI product, and then purchase Windows XP on or after October 25, 2001, will be able to download Windows XP drivers from http://www.ati.com and immediately enjoy the benefits an XP-enabled ATI graphics board will provide. For a complete list of products visit www.ati.com.

I take this to mean that new drivers are coming? i dont know..i hope so. But im sure someone will figure something out.
efishwick   2001-10-15 13:32
As I read the ati website, the XP drivers are for desktop cards only. Support for laptop graphics cards is still "up to the notebook manufacturer".

Check out:
http://www.ati.com/na/pages/faq/windowsxp_faq.html#13
"Due to the number of driver customizations required to support each specific laptop/notebook computer design, ATI is unable to provide laptop/notebook drivers direct to end-users. Please check with your laptop/notebook manufacturer for assistance."
idle b*stards

E Fishwick
Brian   2001-10-16 10:34
DOH....Come on Toshiba!!!!
jack brady   2001-10-24 10:41
Hi all,

Well I decided to keep my Compaq 1720us lap top because it really does kick ass. With a 1Ghz P3, 256 megs of 133mhz RAM, a combo DVD/Cd burner drive, and the 8meg Radeon chip, this thing rocks! And the price was right. $1599.00

I got an e-mail from chris asking what the deal was with the extended desktop feature, and here you go.

I still have been unable to find any drivers from Compaq, ATI, or Microsoft that will allow me to extend my desktop with the dual head ATI mobility Radeon chip my computer has. I am running Windows XP. From reading this thread, the posibillity exists that this feature will be supported as of tommorow the 25th, but who knows..

So at any rate, i ordered a 40gig drive for my computer that should arrive this friday, and I will then install windows 98 or ME. I know for a fact that these opperating systems will support extended desktop after seeing the feature working at my local CompUSA store on their display models.

I'll update you all as to how it works out for me with the new opperating system, and if I'm able to find all the drivers I need.

At any rate, I hope that answers all your questions Chris, and get this lap top. I have had no complaints at all with anything else regarding this computer. I can even play Counter Strike! I like it!!

Jack Brady..
Brian   2001-10-25 05:03
Well, Oct. 25th, XP is released today..hopefully we'll see some new drivers. I want dual monitors!
jack brady   2001-10-27 14:52
So I put the new windows xp drivers on my computer from the microsoft website,

AND IT WORKS!!!!

Now I have the extended desktop on my computer. So I can get back to work on my spreadsheets.

The only problem was that it was a pain in the but installing the drivers manually. I guess I'm still too used to my old Win98....

Jack Brady....
TripleInsomniac   2001-11-02 16:47

Glad you got the drivers working.

I started out using the default XP drivers, but I had to go and mess with it.

The lastest ATI RADEON VE driver install for XP rebooted my system mid way through. I didn't think that was possible with XP.

Downloaded the driver through MS's Windows Update and it installed ok then.

However.. NO MULTI-MONITOR option. I can't even get mirroring to work. The blue icons won't appear in the ATI Displays tab.

Even though I disabled TV out, it keeps coming up in that mode after every reboot.

-Trip
Brian   2001-11-10 13:58
Well, i tried all the windows update drivers and none worked..BUT I did find this:

http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein/rpro.htm

Im going to test out multi mon now :)
AFireInside   2001-11-12 03:25
I have Windows XP Professional and it runs all the multimonitor functions fine. Although the only problem that I had upon installation was that it would NOT initialize my SiS 6326 AGP card because I had it set to secondary in the bios. So I changed the defualt VGA device to AGP and It booted fine. All I had to do then was set my Voodoo3 to primary and then everything worked ok. I had to download some 3rd party modified 3dfx drivers that were originaly for Win2k to get Glide and OpenGL running on XP. Now everything works fine. Halflife runs just as good as it did in Win98 in OpenGL mode.

On another note, since I only have a 400mhz K6-2 I turned all the graphical functions of XP off, which increased performance significantly.
Tom   2001-11-21 02:55
I have an Omnibook 500 which has 8MB ATI Mobility video. The XP driver I am using supports extended desktop very poorly. On the 2nd monitor the best I can get is 1024×768@60hz.

Higher resolutions and faster refresh rates show as available, but they just don't happen when selected.

Has anyone had better luck with ATI Mobility on XP?
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Windows Whistler