Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual Video Cards - PCI and AGP using ATI Chip
Doug   2003-09-19 06:19
I just wanted to share with those of you out there that may be struggling with this issue. Unfortunately ATI and Sapphire would not help me get a compatible PCI video card for my Sapphire 9000 Pro AGP Video Card. They both said they do not support this. Shame on them.

So I bought a ATI 7000 VE PCI card with a dual video output (1 analag and 1 digital monitor)and when I installed it in my computer's motherboard (ASUS A7N8X) the PCI card wasn't working properly and created conflicts.

Ultimately with someone's help (thank you again) I resolved this by removing all my video cards expect the Sapphirre AGP Video Card. Specifically, I removed my Sound Card, Modem Card and the ATI 7000 VE PCI Video Card.

Then I disabled the Bios on the Serial ports (in Bios). And then downloaded a new driver software from the ATI website and ran the wizard to install this new driver software. This new software is designed to run both video cards which have ATI chips. Bingo. I then installed the ATI PCI 7000 VE Video Card back into the motherboard, into the PCI slot farthest away from the AGP Card and checked to see if both cards were working. Yes they were.

After which I reinstalled the Sound and Modem Cards and they too work.

I hope this info helps anyone struggling with this issue the way I had been.

Good luck.
ecarlson   2003-09-20 14:23
Thanks for posting detailed info. I'm sure people will find it helpful.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Doug   2003-09-22 02:58
No problem.
Hawke   2003-09-28 10:27
I am running an ATI 8500 in my system... Trying to install a second video card...(that is where the problems start) Frist let me discribe my system.....

MSI K7D Master Dual Pro MB
AMD 1900 Mhz MP Pro x2
ATi 8500 Raedeon
Promise tx 2000 Raid Controler
SMC 1255 Ethernet Card
MSI 4 port USB 2.0 Card
Pyro DV 1394 Card
WD 60 Gig HD x2

On Board IDE...
DVD Drive
HP 9700 CDRW
CDROM
Floppy

I have tried several different cards

ATI
Trident
S3
Appian J2\n

to no avale

As soon as I put the second card in the ATI loses resources and will not load.

I have tried all the changes suggested by anyone who will tell me to no avale.......

any more suggestions

or should I just live with two monitors

Thaks

Freedom Has a bitter taste the protected shall never saver.........

Points to ponder
Doug   2003-09-30 01:40
Hi,

Don't know if I'll be able to help but...a couple of things.

1) Is the ATi 8500 Raedeon a AGP Card?
2) Which is the PCI Card?

Have you downloaded the latest ATI Driver Software from the ATI website?

Let me know and maybe I can help.

Thanks.
Hawke   2003-10-03 11:43
I am using the latest catalyst driver and the Ati is AGP the Appian Jeronimo is PCI

Points to ponder
Hawke   2003-10-04 09:08
trying something new read about pulling everything out of system and installing one video card at a time well I now have two video cards installed and only th ATI has resources, which is kinda peculiar as that has never happened before it was always the second card that had resources not the ATI. Well anyway I am getting a code 12 on the trident card I am using as second Video card....... and still I am only looking at two monitors LOL.......

I have looked in MSinfo32 and found that the Trident has an IRQ and a Memory address(three different ones to be exact. But there is no I\O refference to the trident card, I have looked to see what it is conflicting with but I see nothing.

Anyone have a Ideas.

Changing the resources on something doesn't seem to be an option.

Thanks

Points to ponder

AMD 1900 Mhz MP Pro x2
ATi 8500 Raedeon
SMC 1255 Ethernet Card
MSI 4 port USB 2.0 Card
Pyro DV 1394 Card
WD 60 Gig HD x2

On Board IDE...
DVD Drive
HP 9700 CDRW
CDROM
Floppy
Doug   2003-10-08 08:41
Hi Hawke,

Haven't been on this site in a while. Two things I might suggest.
1) I believe the ATI AGP 8500 Video Card is probably a new card and new technology. As far as I can tell the software driver you load is very greedy. Once you load it, your system may not recognize the Appian Card.

2) I was able to add a PCI card to my system because both cards are based on ATI chips (one from Sapphire (AGP Card) the other Color...(PCI Card). Once upon a time they used different software drivers, but ATI now has a single driver available on its site (Free upgrade) which manage products that use ATI chips.

3) I think you might have to replace the old Appian Card. It's cheap enough to buy a 7000 VE PCI Video Card 32MB. It has a VGA and a DVI output so you can run two monitors off of it.

Good luck and let me know what happens.
Hawke   2003-10-13 06:05
Victory Finially I got three monitors running it seems the the problem was in my bios...... But after about a year of trying I finally have three monitors.....

Thanks for all your help

Hawke

Points to ponder

AMD 1900 Mhz MP Pro x2
ATi 8500 Raedeon
SMC 1255 Ethernet Card
MSI 4 port USB 2.0 Card
Pyro DV 1394 Card
WD 60 Gig HD x2

On Board IDE...
DVD Drive
HP 9700 CDRW
CDROM
Floppy
Hawke   2003-10-13 14:05
check it out

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/gallery_browse.asp?ID=403

Points to ponder

AMD 1900 Mhz MP Pro x2
ATi 8500 Raedeon
SMC 1255 Ethernet Card
MSI 4 port USB 2.0 Card
Pyro DV 1394 Card
WD 60 Gig HD x2

On Board IDE...
DVD Drive
HP 9700 CDRW
CDROM
Floppy
Doug   2003-10-15 06:07
Glad you got your Monitor set-up working. Success comes to us through the smallest of victories.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual Video Cards - PCI and AGP using ATI Chip