Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Inverting one monitor
Coco   2003-09-20 17:14
I'm just wondering if it's possible to invert a monitors display. Currently i have a 3 monitor setup with two monitors on the bottom and one on top.

What i'd like to do is flip the upper monitor upside down and use it like that. The reason behind this is simply because the controls on the monitor are quite large and make for a big gap from the lower monitors to the upper monito. But if I flip it upside down then the gap is almost half the size.

Now i've seen drivers that allow you to invert the video before but since this cards drivers don't do that for me i'm just wondering if someone knows of another way to do this.

Also is it safe to run a monitor upside down?
ecarlson   2003-09-21 06:26
NVidia NView can rotate displays. I recently tested it on my computer. I rotated one monitor image 90 deg, and the other image 180 deg.

I don't know what other brands have that feature.

I also don't know if it is safe. I would guess that it would be fine for an LCD panel, but I don't know about a CRT monitor. It depends on if everything inside is secure, and if it got proper air flow to keep it cool. If they're all CRT's, I might worry about the lower monitors heating up the upper monitor. You could always add a small quiet fan to get the hot air out, but the fan might make the picture wobbly if it's too close. A DC fan might not cause as much of a problem as an AC fan.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Coco   2003-09-21 16:03
Thanks for the reply but i'm really looking for software that can do this. I know nview allows you to rotate them but the drivers for this vid card don't because it's an older card so i'm really looking for another way to do this.

I do know it's possiblke to program since i've seen joke apps invert a display before but I don't know of any apps that actually invert it for everything.
ecarlson   2003-09-22 13:08
I don't know of any apps, other that NView. What card do you have?

Coco   2003-09-23 02:36
It's an old nvidia card. Pre detenators, I think it's a rage II but i'm not at home right now so I can't check. It's just some cheap card I ripped out of an old pentium 1 for my third monitor.
ecarlson   2003-09-23 10:47
Rage II is ATI, but some old NVidia cards work with the new drivers, if it is an NVidia card.

Christian Studer   2003-09-23 11:10
Take a look at Pivot Pro from Portrait Displays. You can use different rotation settings for each monitor.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
ecarlson   2003-09-23 14:48
That app is $40. For what you plan to do, you can probably get a half way decent NVidia card for that price, and get the same feature included.

Coco   2003-09-25 10:12
Oops, I made a mistake before. I guess it is an old ATI card not nvidia. :) Still not possible to use the detonators though. :)

Thanks for the link to the app. I'll check it out. Although you may be right about it being easier to buy a better card. Thing is it's very hard to find pci video cards in my area. I checked 5 diffrent shops and only one even carries pci video cards anymore.

What i'm still really curios to know is weather or not you can run a normal CRT monitor upside down without causing damage.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Inverting one monitor