Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ATI 9600 multi monitor question
KevinST   2003-09-22 19:43
Hi all,

I'm currently running a vNidia Ti4200 with multi monitors.
The monitors are configured as seperate desktops (i.e. Win2K sees the card as 2 seperate cards) instead of just extending the desktop accross the 2 monitors.
Is this possible on the 9600pro, or does ATI's multi monitor support treat both monitors as the same desktop?

Thanks

KevinST
Barton   2003-09-23 03:35
Kevin,

Hydravision (ATI's counterpart to nView from nVidia) treats both monitors as one big desktop.

In my office, I have a Radeon 7000 and am using the latest Catalyst drivers and there is no option to have independent displays. I'm stuck with one big 2048x768 display. I even received confirmation from ATI that indicates that not only don't they support independent resolutions on their dual-head cards, but they don't support the ability to rotate the displays like nVidia does either. That's why I use nVidia at home.

While ATI might be great for gaming, for all other practical applications, Nvidia is the only way to go.

That's my two cents worth.

Barton
ecarlson   2003-09-23 10:50
Thanks for the info about ATI cards. I'm partial to NVidia cards and drivers myself, but I don't run any computer games (at least not games that require fast 3D capabilities).

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
KevinST   2003-09-23 20:11
Thanks Barton for your reply.
ATI have just lost a sale of a brand new 9600Pro to me... guess I'll have to stick with nVidia for my home system then.
Douglas   2003-09-25 06:34
You should be able to get independent heads on Windows XP - dubbed Dual View.

Douglas Jordan
Colorgraphic, VP Engineering
Barton   2003-09-25 07:03
Doug may be right. I havn't tried an ATI card using XP. I am so diappointed with ATI on my W2K PC at work, I knew I wanted nVidia at home. It does seem odd that it would provide independent settings on XP and not on W2K. Afterall, isn;t XP based on the W2K kernel with a fancy GUI?
KevinST   2003-09-25 19:39
Thanks Douglas,
I'm using Win2K at home... and don't really have any need to update this to XP.
Think I'll wait for the 5900FX to come down to a rasonable price.
Douglas   2003-09-26 06:44
In Windows XP they added a way for the video driver to create/add a secondary head from a dual output GPU. This should have been in Windows 2000 or at least should have been added it through a service pack.

Douglas Jordan
Christian Studer   2003-09-26 11:13
ATI does have Windows 2000 drivers with true multi-monitor support for the Radeon 9xxx cards, see my Radeon 9000 review for more on this.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Douglas   2003-09-27 03:10
Yes but only if the Radeon 9xxx has a multifunction BIOS loaded on it. This is where the - Secondary driver listing comes from.

Douglas Jordan
Hawke   2003-09-28 10:10
I have been using an ATI 8500 (*&^%$#@) for about two years now I am running two monitors on it. I would like to run three. But according to ATI...... No ATI video card will coexist with another card........ I have seen in here where it has been done. (In the Database) But cant figure it out I lose resources on the ATI card everytime I introduce antoher card no matter what it is.......

Freedom Has a bitter taste the protected shall never saver.........

Points to ponder
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ATI 9600 multi monitor question