Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Lock ups in XP when using the second monitor
MattCFII   2003-09-23 02:32
Hey guys,
I've ran multi-montiors before, but this is the first time in XP and with a Voodoo 5. It's a Celeron 1.3 Ghz with 512 megs RAM, a S3 Virge 375 as the primary card and the Voodoo 5 as the secondary and I'm running XP. For some reason when I mve things on to the second monitor it will lock up the system and I have to turn the computer off to get it to reboot. Some things lock it up almost immediately where others will let me move stuff around more on the second monitor before locking up. Has anybody heard of this before? Thanks for the help!
boddah   2003-09-23 08:33
im thinking it may not be able to run directx on the top monitor. my tv tuner card uses directx to display on the screen, and if i move it onto the secondary monitor, it locks, with nothing to help but the reset button.
ecarlson   2003-09-23 14:40
My TV card plays fine on either monitor, but I haven't figured out how to get it to go full screen on the secondary monitory, only the primary. But I can enlarge it to fill most of the second screen if I want.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
MattCFII   2003-09-23 15:12
Thanks for the replies guys! Well it's not using any 3D applications on it, the one program it freezes right away, everytime, is with notepad! If it is a DIrect X problem, would it be direct draw issue?
MattCFII   2003-09-23 15:22
For what it's worth, I maybe totally off base here, but I just ran DXdiag and both cards passed the direct draw and direct 3D tests.
MattCFII   2003-10-07 03:39
BUMP, just wanted to see if there is a solution to this before I run out and buy another video card. Looks like there are a few more reports in the database and forums of lockup when moving programs to the other monitor. Most of them seem to be S3 card systems, but not all. I don't know what else to try.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Lock ups in XP when using the second monitor