Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ASUS Fx-5900 Dual Monitor Issue
Dave Kuchta   2003-10-21 13:57
Hey Guys,

I am running two monitors off of my Fx-5900 using the NVIDIA 45.23 drivers in Win XP. Everything seems to work fine until I run a graphics intensive application (even if only for a second or two... so its not heat).

Upon quitting the application, both monitors will click off, then back on again. When they come back on, my desktop wallpaper is gone and the screen is all blue. All icons are still present and continue to function normally.

When I activate any portion of the screen, by opening a window, or even clicking on an icon, that portion of the screen, when visible again, will have the wallpaper refreshes. So, if I drag a window around on the desktop, it acts like a paintbrush, painting my desktop wallpaper back onto the blue screen.... Or if I maximize and close a window an either monitor, the wallpaper is back.

Oh, and by the way, with a PCI board installed (GeForce4), it all works great!

The problem occurs even on a clean boot with no other cards or devices installed.

My system:
Abit IC7-G Mobo, P4 2.8C, 1024MB Corsair PC-4000

Thanks!!!
Dave
Mindabsence   2003-10-22 10:05
I get that to sometimes not sure what it is, anyone know? But a quick way to get the desktop back is to just right click and refresh it.
ecarlson   2003-10-22 13:40
My girlfriend's laptop now has a similar problem ever since she updated Windows XP with SP1 and all the other current Windows Updates.

Also, does hitting F5 to refresh the screen help at all?

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Dave Kuchta   2003-10-23 13:37
Hey Guys,

I don't think it is related to Win XP SP1, as I have another machine fully updated in XP and it runs two monitors off one board fine.... that is using a Ti4800. Now.... the interesting thing is that when I put the Ti-4800 in my newer 875 Abit system, it also does the funky screen thing.

What drivers are you folks using when you see this?

Thanks!
Dave
ecarlson   2003-10-23 13:43
My girlfriend's laptop is only using one screen, and it's using some older drivers from Toshiba. I don't know what video chipset it uses. We haven't yet checked for updated video drivers. It's possible that new vid drivers will fix the laptop, but it was hard enough to get her to install SP1 and the other patches.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Mindabsence   2003-10-25 01:46
Forgot to say that my card was a FX 5600.
The drivers I am using are 45.33.
I only seem to get this after certain games not all of them.
Dave Kuchta   2003-10-28 01:15
Well, the 52.16 Forceware drivers did not address the problem. I did learn one other thing about it though.....

It seems to happen less frequently if I have something else running in the secondary monitor such as "Mother Board Monitor" or "Teamspeak".

Strange.....
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> ASUS Fx-5900 Dual Monitor Issue