Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Removing multiple monitors
Mark Fenton   2003-11-06 00:02
I've used 2 monitors for a year but due to lack of space I am going down to a single TFT screen. However, when I remove/disable the old PCI card (an S3) I was using for the secondary monitor, directdraw and AG texture acceleration are disabled on my AGP Geforce4 MX. I've reinstalled the NVidia drivers and DirectX but no help. I don't want to leave the card there as windows keep disappearing to where the 2nd monitor was.

Help!

Mark
ecarlson   2003-11-06 11:43
Did you try disabling the second monitor in Display Properties before removing the second card?

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Mark Fenton   2003-11-06 19:40
Yeah, but windows still acted as if it was attatched - allowed windows to open on the non-existant second monitor etc. Plus, disabling it disabled DDraw etc.
Mark Fenton   2003-11-06 23:32
Solved!

Found a group using google that said to run netmeeting and then the netmeeting remote desktop sharing wizard. All acceleration now enabled. I have NO idea why this works. Hope this helps anyone with the same problem.
ecarlson   2003-11-07 10:24
Wow! Very odd solution. I'd like to know why it fixes the problem.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Jason   2003-11-08 04:49
It's Microsoft they just patch everyone elses bugs with another application.
Mark Fenton   2003-11-09 07:26
Having done this I have a strange feeling I have done it before when I had a problem with directx. Microsoft support don't appear to know about/understand this solution though. Very strange indeed...

I suspect that because netmeeting uses video overlay (which uses directdraw) to do videoconferencing then it somehow resets directx, but I'm only guessing.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Removing multiple monitors