Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Certain windows won't close at startup anymore
Jason   2003-11-22 22:23
I have a very irritating problem.
First I bought a Nvidia FX5200 card, I put my one and only monitor on it and I put my TV on it. And I put Utramon 2.3 on my system. No problems there.
A week later I decided to get a second monitor. And I connected it to my video card. No problems so far. Both of my monitors worked, but my tv didn't, but still it worked fine.
I looked what the problem could be, it was an option I had to mark (I think it was at the Nvidia options). It was as simple as that.
BUT now the problems came. Every time I boot my pc certain windows stay open that shouldn't be open like "ccApp", "MPWind_Hooker", sometimes "NVidia twinview" and a strange partially shown taskbarlike bar at the top or in the middle of my screen.
Now these are all windows that are seposse to be hidden. "ccApp" is a part of Norton Antivirus, "MPWind_Hooker" is a part of MSN or MSN Plus. "NVidia Twin view is....well... from Nvidia. And I don't know what the hell that partially shown taskbar is.

I tried everything, Reinstalling it, reinstalling the other programs that are infected. Even "force" to uncheck the option so that I can see my TV. Nothing helped except uninstalling ultramon.

So please can someone help me, I'm getting to the point that I want to get rid of Utramon, and I don't want to do that.

I've got Win XP with this configuration:
2 monitors
Current desktop: 2048x768 (0,0 - 2048,768)

Monitor 1 - Default Monitor (primary):
Settings: 1024x768, 32-bit color, 85 Hz refresh rate
Coordinates: 0,0 - 1024,768. Workspace: 0,0 - 1024,738
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Device: \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor3

Monitor 2 - Plug and Play Monitor:
Settings: 1024x768, 32-bit color, 75 Hz refresh rate
Coordinates: 1024,0 - 2048,768. Workspace: 1024,0 - 2048,738
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Device: \\.\DISPLAY2\Monitor2

ThanX Jason

Jason
Christian Studer   2003-11-22 23:30
If you have the Nvidia desktop manager enabled, try if disabling it fixes the problem (you can do this from Control Panel).

I don't know if this is really the problem though, running both UltraMon and the Nvidia desktop manager usually works fine.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Jason   2003-11-23 00:32
Damn, It works........ Why is that??
But here is another one for you. Nou I want to have the same effect but still I want to access Nvidia Properties. How can that be done, Because this I still find very irritating.....

ThanX Jason

Jason
Christian Studer   2003-11-23 01:08
You can still access Nvidia properties in advanced display properties. The nView desktop manager is separate from the display driver and driver options.

BTW, I just tested with UltraMon 2.3 and the 52.16 Nvidia drivers, works fine for me on XP SP1 with both UltraMon and the nView desktop manager enabled.

When enabling the nView desktop manager, I also had the problem with hidden windows becoming visible, but after rebooting it worked fine.

Jason   2003-11-23 02:42
Those 2 also worked fine for me aswell, but it was only when I activated The TV option in the Nvidia properties display when I got these problems...............

And the advanced properties you can only have access to a limited number of options. Not all like when you have the Nvidia Desktop manager enabled.....

So if someone has an idea how to do this. Please let me know.................

ThanX for anyone who has an idea.....

Jason
Martyn Iles   2003-11-26 01:41
I've seen this too - its not just when you enable/disable the Nvidia desktop, but also any time you load a profile in the Nview desktop manager.

If you have any debug settings for UltraMon, I'd be happy to get you some more info....
Christian Studer   2003-11-26 08:13
This seems to be an issue with nView, Nvidia would need to look into this. Currently I have no idea what feature of UltraMon would cause nView to show hidden windows.

Jason   2003-11-27 05:14
Damn, real irritating... IF someone have more info about this I would be full of happyness... :-)

ThanX Jason

Jason
Bred   2003-11-27 17:04
I was having the same problems with UltraMon 2.3 and the 52.16 Nvidia drivers, especially with WinAmp Agent, or the kX Audio drivers leaving a black square on the desktop where the On-Screen Display of the volume control appeared...

As great as UltraMon is, it's still missing a few of Nview's features that I don't want to give up, so ditching Nview wasn't really an option.

I noticed that the problem went away if I manually started UltraMon after I logged into Windows and all the other startup apps had finished loading. Good to know, but still not a solution. Problem is, most startup apps load simultaneously, so if it boots correctly one time, it's still a craps-shoot whether or not it'll screw up again.

After hours of fiddling, I finally found a solution that should fix things for most of you:

First, grab the excellent free app "Startup Control Panel" by Mike Lin HERE.

Disable any unnecessary startup apps (Microsoft Office Startup and QuickTime Startup are a good place to start) and then mimic the following settings:

USER Startup directory (StartMenu):
- UltraMon.exe shortcut

HKLM / Run (Registry):
- NvCplDaemon
- nwiz.exe /install
- [Any AntiVirus / Firewall Apps]

HKCU / Run (Registry):
- NvMediaCenter

Lastly, you must turn ON the "Load logon script before loading Desktop" setting in Windows. I used a tweak app, "Tweaki ... For Power Users", to change the setting on my PC, but I'm pretty sure it's either a policy or registry setting.

That last setting prevents UltraMon from loading too soon.

Hope this helps!!

Bred
Martyn Iles   2003-11-30 22:55
Tried this and some of them stopped appearing, but several were still there - it even seems to happen when the Nvidia desktop manager isn't enabled.

I've now disabled Ultramon from Startup and start it manually after I've logged in - if I do this, there is no problem.

I'm running the latest Nvidia 52.16 drivers - any ideas?

Can Ultramon be delayed at startup?
Christian Studer   2003-12-01 00:26
You can use a script to start UltraMon automatically at system startup but with a delay: UltraMonDelay.vbs

Edit the second line to change the delay, by default it is 2000 milliseconds (= 2 seconds).

You may need to edit the fourth line depending on where you installed UltraMon.

Once you have edited the script, delete the UltraMon shortcut in Start menu > Programs > Startup, create a shortcut to the script and place it in the Startup folder.

Jason   2003-12-05 04:08
That script solved all my problems.....Yes.... Kewl, Finally after all that time. And thje solution was so simple.

Kewl.. ThanX for all your help...

Jason

Jason
Martyn Iles   2003-12-11 22:14
Letting the UI get fully started before Ultramon kicks in seems to sort the problem out.

Thanks.
OnTracK   2004-02-09 07:44
Is it possible that this feature gets inserted in Ultramon, I've had the same problem and luckilly I found this topic through some Swedish forum which I found by Google.
Christian Studer   2004-02-09 20:22
Will be considered for the next release.

Christian Studer   2004-03-16 23:32
Update: this issue seems to have been fixed in the 56.64 drivers.

Forums -> UltraMon™ -> Certain windows won't close at startup anymore