Forums -> Multiple monitors -> w2k problems with two seperated cards
Bas   2003-12-02 04:00
I have W2k and I have 2 PCI videocards and 2 monitors. On W98 I got dual monitor but at W2k the second card gives a failure, I can't get the second to work. In the hardware list (I don't know how it is called in Enlish) it tells me the card couldn't start. (I see a yellow "!" at the card)
I read on the web that W2k the only OS is that doesn't support dual head, I don't know what dualhead is but that should be the reason for my problems (or isn't it?)

Question: How can I force W2k to use dual monitor?

Bas
Christian Studer   2003-12-02 07:35
See the guide for information on the code 10 error.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Bas   2003-12-03 02:21
thank you, I diddn't saw that before BUT...

I have two old PCI cards (one S3 and one Cirrus Logic and the one in the lowest slot only works)

Is there a way to force W2K into dual monitor?
Cause it won't work if I set one card two primary...

Bas
ecarlson   2003-12-03 12:28
You probably need at least one newer video card for both to be active in Win2k. It sounds like both of the cards you have need to be initialized first to work with Win2K, and of course only one can.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Jim_VA   2003-12-06 00:42
Christian, Ecarlton, others:

My problem sounds similar to the one your discussing with several perhaps differences. Could you offer some advice?

Original video card is Nvidia GeForce2 GTS in the DELL Dimension 4100 P3 1ghz machine. The GEForce2 GTS is an AGP board in the AGP slot. The connector has the two slots in it.

New card is Nvidia GEForce4 MX 440 with 64mb. My GEForce4 MX 440 is the PCI card version with one slot in the connector. (I mention this because someone asked me if this was the AGP version.)

The computer is running WIndows 2000 Pro operating system with latest updates.

Both cards are multi-monitor capable. I've downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers for the new card.

I'm having problems with the SYSTEM not recognizing the new card - in Device Manager, under Display adapters ONLY the original GEFORCE2 card appears.

Under Other PCI devices, a VGA compatible device appears.

When I look up the Device status in properties, it says:
" This device is not configured Correctly (code 1).
It is installed in PCI Slot 1. I had in slot 4 originally but it didn't work there either so I thought maybe changing to slot 1 would affect it.

When I run the update drivers, the process fails as SYSTEM doesn't recognize the card as matching the driver, apparently.
Any ideas anyone. I'm stumped. Help!

Thanks, Jim

Dell Dimension 4100 P3 1 ghz
512 meg memory
latest Mobo updates (A09)
ecarlson   2003-12-06 03:48
Did you try getting each card working seperately first?

Jim_VA   2003-12-06 07:08
I spent a lot of time this am reading way back into the previous forums questions here and the FAQ.

From that I synthesized that I'd first try removing the existing NVidia drivers and reinstalling the latest drivers. Additionally, I removed the AGP GEForce2 and, upon boot, found the BIOS selection to make the PCI slot primary (containing the GEforce4 mx 440).

This allowed the GEForce 4 to be recognized, driversload, and NVIEW loaded up well, as advertised. Then, upon restart, I put the AGP card back in, it was recognized by the OS and loaded automatically.

I spent a while configuring the display sizes and all appears to be working well.
Jim

Dell Dimension 4100 P3 1 ghz
512 meg memory
latest Mobo updates (A09)
ecarlson   2003-12-06 14:52
Great!

ecarlson   2003-12-06 14:56
FYI: Not that it matters, but the 440 will probably work even if it's not primary in BIOS. It's a new enough card that it probably doesn't have to be primary, like some older cards. Though you can set whichever card you want as primary in Windows regardless of what is set as primary in BIOS, so it's pretty much a moot point.

Dave   2004-02-09 17:55
Dear Sirs,

In my AGP slot I have a GE Force MX40/40 and I have tried 3 (admittedly rubbish) PCI cards. Does the PCI card need to be reasonably up to date to enable multi-monitoring?

I can set the PCI to primary but when I try and enable the AGP card and tick "extend my desktop to this monitor" the system crashes. This has happened with 3 old PCI cards. Today I'm thinking about buying a SiS305 32MB PCI.

I have all latest drivers and have been trying for days, is it the quality of the old PCI cards? They were Cirrus Logic 5446 and S3 Trio64V2/DX (don't know how much memory they had on board, doubt it was over 8 meg)

Cheers!

Dave
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> w2k problems with two seperated cards