Forums -> Multiple monitors -> So is surround gaming possible without a Matrox Parhelia?
JackOLantern   2003-12-05 06:00
Ive read much of the content on the site and some of the posts on the forum here, but I can't seem to find a definite answer to this question (to me, at least).

If one doesn't have a Matrox Parhelia, can one still get surround gaming with games such as UT2003? I know FlightSIm will support it without the Matrox, but not sure about the others, such as UT2003.

Say, if I have a ATI 9600 and another PCI card?

Thanks!

Jack
Christian Studer   2003-12-06 03:35
It might work in windowed mode, with the window stretched across all monitors, but performance would be so bad that it would be unusable.

If you want 3-monitor surround gaming, you'll either need to install a Parhelia, or only use games with multi-monitor support, such as Flight Simulator.

Also see the FAQ for more information.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Steve   2003-12-06 08:06
I can play some of my games spanned over my two monitors with my Nvidia FX5600 by setting it to horizontal span mode, I'm not sure if that can be done with an ATI I'm less familiar with those cards.
Martyn Iles   2003-12-11 22:10
I've got age of mythology working in span mode on an nvidia card.

problem with the parhelia, is it is pretty old not (18 months+) and isn't exactly capable of massive framerates when running ONE monitor.

The problem with 'dual head' gaming is the centre of the screen is between the two monitors.

Three monitors on non-Parhelia requires use of an AGP plus a PCI card - even with a parhelia, you cannot use three tft screens via DVI.

Still not mainstream, but its possible (just!).
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> So is surround gaming possible without a Matrox Parhelia?