Forums -> Multiple monitors -> TV on Nvidia Black and White
Jason   2003-12-06 11:17
Hi, I've got a Nvidia 5200. Put 2 monitor on 'em and I want to watch my PC on my TV as well.
I first got only 1 monitor and a TV and it worked fine. I put my 2nd monitor on and I had to force that he could see my TV.
Now, I don't know when it exactly happend but when I switch it to First monitor + TV I can only see it in Black and White.
How is this possible and what can I do to solve this... I already checked the options so it can't be any simple option in the Nvidia options or Ultramon.

ThanX Jason
Jason   2003-12-08 07:26
come on, No one has an idea?
J
m2h   2003-12-09 11:43
I had this exact same problem with my Ti4200, among a lot of other problems. Best I could figure out it was something with the nVidia drivers. I had to go back and install some older dentonator drivers. Now I know this isn't good news for you as you'll be needing the ForceWare drivers for the 5200.

I don't know if it's a known bug either.

There's a fly the size of my thumb crawling on my monitor right now. Haha.. hrm... scary.

Might also want to try installing the nvidia WDM 1.08 drivers too. Last known release that doesn't have macrovision in it. :)

io.m2h.ca
ecarlson   2003-12-09 13:49
Do both of you have all the latest Windows patches installed (Windows Update)? And the latest Direct-X?

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
jason   2003-12-10 02:35
I am sad to say that this is a problem with the SVideo cable that NVidia provides. Any cheap SVideo cable will give you these results .. go out and buy yourself the best quality SVideo cable you can find, and i *promise* this will fix the problem.

latez...
Jason   2003-12-10 08:07
Yes, I have all the latest updates for windows and DirectX... and more....

And I doubt it... I really doubt it... I can't be my cable, It worked at one point and now it doesn't. It worked perfectly...

Some idea's..... Please?!!

ThanX Jason
o0slushee0o   2003-12-10 13:51
Try buying a brand new expensive cable then try it ... if it doesn't work, take it back .. but I have seen this several times and a new cable alway's fixes the problem..

Wish it was something else, but video card manu's don't seem to be sending out the highest quality cables these day's unfortunatly..
m2h   2003-12-11 14:30
I have a hard time believing it is a cable that is causing it.

I am all updated as well. Minus the video drivers.. had to go back fixed many instabilities through out my system.

The problems with the B/W output came about after updating the the nVidia drivers. And since going back to the older ones fixed the problem, that tells me one thing. It is the drivers.

io.m2h.ca
Jason   2003-12-12 21:22
YES, I've fixed the problem. And it wasn't any cable or drivers or being up to date.
It was some stupid option that the Nvidia program did wrong.
Normally Nvidia detects if the connection is S-video or composite. Well, somehow at one point in time it detected it wrong. If you have it connected to your TV through a composite cable and it detects it is a S-Video cable it will give a black and white tv screen. SO I had to manually set it to composite. And it worked....

So anyone, If you have the same problem, just install the latest drivers. You don't need an earlier one... Select Monitor + TV display mode. Then go to the display properties screen, select settings, click on advanced. Then go to the Geforce FX tab. (or your videocard...whatever that is). Go to "nView display mode". At "display" you can select your monitor and you tv. Select your TV. Tehn click the button "Device settings", then "select TV format". And there you can change your connection setting to "composite Video-Out".
(or perhaps S-Video Out, depending on what you have)

OK, I hope I've helped a lot of people. If you are one of the people i've helped please let me know. I like a compliment or two.

ThanX for all your help... Jason
ecarlson   2003-12-13 02:34
Thanks, and that makes sense, since S-Video has seperate lines for luminance (brightness) and chrominance (color). I guess you have to set the card to composite mode to output a single composite signal, which is composed of both luminance and chrominance information.

You can also get S-video to composite cables or adapters that do the signal combining for you, in which case, it wouldn't matter which setting you use. But using the proper setting on the video card is probably the best solution.

C & D   2003-12-16 18:22
Hey Jason... cudos to you... bravo..yes you fixed our black and white only problem on svideo!!!
We can't thankyou enough... tearing our hair out we were!! we did exactly what you said and voila!! tis in colour... you saved us a bunch of money thankyou thankyou! so to anyone else out there having probs with seeing only black and white give Jason's fix a whirl .. it works!!!!
thanks from Nanaimo BC

C and D
jon   2004-01-01 12:45
jason good work i just bought geforce fx 5200,and had the same black and white problem tech support recomended this e-mail to me. works perfect,still need to do some picture adjusting. the company that made the card had to send me here ?????

jon
m2h   2004-01-02 21:08
Wow. Go you! :) I'll be making a note of this Jason,.. for future use. :)

io.m2h.ca
Mike   2004-01-07 23:21
Now to throw in a wrench...

I have an NVidia card with the S-video out, and the little composite adapter. When I hook this up to my VCR and TV, I get a color picture.

But, if I record anything (a DVD, screensaver, desktop, MS Word) to tape, then play it back it's in black and white.

Do I have to boost the signal strength with a radio shack gizmo, or find some way of generating a digital signal? I don't have the luxury of trying s-video, as my TV is one step above having a UHF dial.

Any help is appreciated.

-Mike
Rachel   2004-01-24 09:46
Yeah, I had the same problem on my computer before, and I screwed around with it til I finally did that composite thing and fixed it, just by accident. But then my computer died, and when I got the new one, I'd COMPLETELY forgotten what I'd done and it was driving me MAD. So you made me remember, thank you!
Darknite   2004-01-30 13:21
thank you thank you thank you
i changed to composite video out and it worked
something so easy for somthing that has been such a pain thank you

"Is it victory or defeat that waits in the darkness?"
Winters Wrath   2004-01-31 21:08
Hi, I'm having the exact same problem... I'm using an S-video cable with a scartblock style thing on my geforce fx5200... All hooked up and ready to go and the TV is just displaying B&W... which is really annoying since I was planning on hooking it up to my widescreen for some serious game time...

i've played with all the options, switching from Svideo, trying different display modes, but it aint happening... can anyone help?

Winters
Winters Wrath   2004-01-31 21:19
MISSION COMPLETE: fiddling with TV settings on the tv somehow helped... sorry for wasting valuble posting space... ;)

Winters
Myrtul   2004-02-19 07:10
hello! i got the same problem (b&w tv output)but when i go to nview dislay, choose dislay+tv
Select your TV. Tehn click the button "Device settings", then "select TV format".
i don t have s-video/composite choice, only a big list of tv format (pal/ntsc... ) for several countries...
did i missed something???
telaviv1976   2004-02-22 03:47
Hey Jason

u're the man!!!!!!

i just installed my new computer and had only B/W TV view, and changing from "Auto Detect" to "Composite" did the trick!!!! Even though i'm using S-Video (stupid nvidia drivers...)

Thanks a lot man... :)
Kari   2004-02-22 23:56
Just wanted to thank Jason, you really saved me ALOT of anger management courses :-) Your advice worked perfectly.

Thx
John   2004-02-23 02:58
Hi! i tried everithing that uve posted here and i still cant get my color on tv :(,any more gusses?
ecarlson   2004-02-23 12:26
John: Buy a color TV. :-)

john   2004-02-24 01:22
i already have one...lol and it cant get colors on tvout
eddy   2004-02-24 15:59
I tried setting it to composite and the TV does not show anything. Only when I set them to s-video or auto, my TV will show picture in black and white.

Need help !

Thank you in advance !

anyway I have a color TV too...:)

Dell Inspiron 5150 with FX go5200
Ara   2004-03-01 20:46
Jason for president!
Madrus   2004-03-01 22:45
Hi everyone,

Thank you for the solution to the B/W problem. I have an nVidia GeForce2 MX 440 and I am using the composite video out with 10 m high quality cable with gilded connectors and a gilded SCART. In the shop they told me that it is the best I can get.

So, I get my TV image in color, BUT...

...there is an ugly discolored horizontal stripe (looks like a slightly overexposed part of your picture) that slowly moves downwards and then again starts from the top of the picture.

Has anyone a suggestion how to fix this? Thanx!

Madrus
Madrus   2004-03-01 22:54
I am sorry I posted my question with B/W whereas the question is about color.

I have started a new thread for that under the name of "Discoloring of the TV image"

Madrus
Ian   2004-03-10 07:14
I have a similar problem with my Nvidia Geforce 5200 card. When I use a cheap TV I get a colour picture. However, when I connect it the a wide screen TV I get a b/w picture. After trying adjusting all the options with no improvement, I measured the output of the card using a an oscilloscope and got a reading of 0.45 volts peak to peak (Vpp). The copmosite video specfication appears to be of the order of 1.0 Vpp. I also measured the ouput of my DVD and DV camcorder and got 1.1 and 0.9 Vpp respectively. So it would seem the the output of the card is too low to work reliably.

IanP
ecarlson   2004-03-10 12:04
Ian:

Thanks for doing some real diagnostics. I wonder if there's a way to program the card to put out a higher signal. I know some cards have adjustable signal levels. If not, maybe a video signal booster would help.

Ercax   2004-03-15 06:06
thanx jason. you just saved one more person's sanity.
chewEboy   2004-03-20 01:28
ok got same card

FX5200, but where is this option to select monitor + Tv display????????

its not in Destop properties

and its not a tab on the nvidia control pannal
chewEboy   2004-03-20 03:01
IM 9unnin win 98

also there is no geforce fx tab in display properties/settings/advanced

Im gettin V annoyed at moment, because it appears possible to solve the problem but I cant cos the options arent there!
Steve   2004-03-25 17:57
You legend Jason....
Just want to say thanks!
I'm another one with same problem... and now it is sweet!
Boris   2004-04-02 10:37
Hello people.
I just want a little help with the topic.

I have tried many different driver versions
and on all of them I have no option to choose
between S-Video anf composite.

With the latest forceware I see a field
named Video Output format, but it is empty

I have an Albatron Ti4200-8xAGP
a GOOD S-Video cable and a 43" rear-projection toshiba. so I am sure it's not a TV or cable problem
Did anyone here have same problems ?
Carl   2004-04-02 22:15
Jason you are a God.
This has been bugging me for days now.
Many thanks and adulations.
graham   2004-04-06 19:23
Well done Jason you are a god. Had this b/w prob for weeks

Graham
Glabro   2004-04-12 00:49
Hey Jason, we just had the same problem after re-installing XP.

Your solution worked. Thanks.
Mazin   2004-04-13 20:22
could find any settings, but reading this gave me the idea that 2 channels are being sent. I had the same b&w problem, with a connector i bought from dick smith. it was svideo to 2 rca cost about $11.
looked like this:

SVideoConnector 0-----/------()- yellow rca
\------()- white rca

how i fixed it was by splicing the 2 cables leading to the rca plugs into one.
It now looks something like this:

SVideoConnector 0-----/--+---()- yellow rca
\--/

works great!! :)
Philip   2004-04-27 04:45
Jason!
Your soulution almost worked on my laptop. I had a perfect color-image for about two seconds, and then the screen became black. At NVIDA's hompage (look) I found out that you have to disconnect your computermonitor in order to make it work, but that's kind of hard to do on a laptop.I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 and I'm out of ideas!! Can anyone please help me???

PMG
shneers   2004-05-08 12:30
can somebody please help because i dont see the tab where i can choose composite out... i have all the latest drivers from nvidia.com ... am i missing something?????
Viktor Høibråthen   2004-05-20 02:30
hah Jason you rock! been trying to fix this problem for aeons and i read ur post and wopee it works with colors!! :) love you!

www.redexmedia.net
salim   2004-05-20 17:31
does anyone have trouble with the dell inspiron 5150 S-video? somehow I could't find the option to force the output to my TV through s-video, I use windows XP, and downloaded the latest driver still not working. anyone can help w/ this?

DS
Eddie   2004-05-21 08:10
AGRRRR i tried tried tried and tried but i just not gotten it i when to the place to change it to AV and it doesn't give me anything i mean theres nothing there that said AV or Com...w/e i hit the arrow to open the selection but its doesn't give me anything
Stationed in Germany   2004-06-05 06:03
Thanks a bunch about the information. Had the black and white on TV problem described above. I followed your procedures, and set the tab to Composite rather than Auto-detect. Color came back ;-)

Think the gentleman's name who offered this was Jason? thanks much!
aleXANder   2004-06-08 02:02
Thank you very much, Jason! It worked great, had the same problem with albatron fx5200.. I remembered I've managed to get it fixed earlier, but didn't remember how ;) Thank you again!
Bjorn   2004-06-08 10:12
Thx!!!!
Joris Kempen   2004-06-10 08:23
hi people,

I see that more and more people have the problem, that they want to change the "video output format"

but it isn't possible because the combobox isn't visible. Using a system-tool i checked that the combobox really is there, but is invincible for some stupid reason.

Why is this fucking happening? Any have a email adres where I can contact Nvidia directly?
BlackFox   2004-06-10 15:32
Thanks for the help, fixed my problem right away. now its time to watch some movies, w00t!

"Your anger is a gift"
-Zack De LaRocha
Hindu   2004-06-11 03:32
A beer on me, Jason, whoever you are! :)
darshi   2004-06-13 16:53
you guys are awesome! my hp pavillion zd7140us has a nvidia geforce go5200 and i had the same problem. i called their tech support and pointed out that their manual is fucking wrong! the manual says you should be able to change the ntsc/pal setting in the BIOS. what a load of crap. then the tech support guy didn't know shit. he kept trying to convince me it had something to do with the regional language support. dumbasses.

anyway, for those of you who want to know why the 'nview' can't be seen, try this:

hook up your machine to the tv. switch to tv mode, or both computer screen and tv mode together. then go the the display settings and see if you can see the 'nview' menu. it worked for me anyway. hope it works for you too!

good luck!

-Darshi.

Darshi
Jade   2004-07-04 00:52
Hey Guys!!! Good work Jason.

You have done a great job finding the problem, but seem to be ignoring a few people on this thread.

The newer versions of the drivers do not seem to have the setting "change your connection setting to composite Video-Out".

Perhaps this is a bug with the later drivers? I have tried with NVIDIA forceware 60.72, 61.11 as well as 61.71.

Any ideas?

Jade.
Smit   2004-07-05 19:58
Ive been looking for this answer for ages!! Couldnt find anything in the Dutch forums butt now here's the answer. :D Thnx! Jason

*probadley something with old tv's that cant putt the brightniss and color together, butt when you use it this way its already putt together in the signal.. well what the f*ck nevermind! as long as it works!*
Colm Ward   2004-07-27 22:29
A B&W picture is apparently very common when you try to connect your S-Video PC output to a TV using a SCART adapter. One thing which is not mentioned by the suppliers of these PC-to-TV cabling kits is that you will get get a B&W picture if you connect the S-Video directly to the SCART adapter.

To get around this you have to convert to a VHS signal before you reach the SCART adapter. Read the Cabling FAQ on tvtool.com for a fuller description and cable schematics. I made up a cable myself using a capacitor and it worked fine.

More descriptions of the problem here:
http://www.computerbase.co.uk/descriptions/tvhelp5.htm
sGun   2004-08-07 03:13
I also have an Inspiron 5150 laptop with a GeForce FX Go5200. I can get the display working using S-Video-Out but its black and white. When I try to use Composite Video-Out however I can see it goes to color for a second, then goes all black. I toyed around with all kinds of settings and just cannot figure it out. Anyone have a similar problem and know how to fix it?

Thanks!
Ernie   2004-08-31 05:39
I have a TV card installed in my computer and no matter what I do I can only get B/W.

I even tried after I had did a clean install of Xp when I did SP2 and the result was the same. No colour just B/W I have now disabled the TV card. I know it is something to do with FX5200 card as everything was OK with old Graphics card.

Dual boot 98&XP

Ernie
loop   2004-10-02 06:08
hi. i had the same problem as jason, and his advice worked. i had to go into the tv properties in the nvidia settings and switch from "auto-select" to "s-video". badaboom. got color.

thx for the tip, jason.

loop
Corey Christenson   2004-10-11 01:55
I have a Geforce FX 5200. I would like to hook it up to my tv(which has a place for s-video)so i can watch my game on tv. I have a s-video cable that came with it and i have a adapter that came with it also. what do i need to do.

Corey Christenson
Corey Christenson   2004-10-11 12:33
never mind...i got it to work
KiMi   2004-10-19 15:18
Hey, everyone.
Im having the same problems with balck and white picture, i tried with Jason's advice but i dont have any option for composite video out or svideo out in the Tv format tab. The only settings are Pal or NTSC. Does someone why this is happening, im having this black and white problem for over 2 weeks know and its pissing me off! :) Another thing that doesnt work is clone mode, the only nView mode i can select is Single. This NVIDIA stuff is all messed up, can anyone helo please?????????
Stephen   2004-10-26 20:00
I'm not entirely sure that this sort of problem has everything to do with cables, or drivers.

Remember that ignorance of the different television standards (PAL, SECAM, two versions of NTSC) can easily cause these sorts of problems. Ever tried playing back an NTSC VHS tape on a PAL VCR? You get a perfect picture except... wait for it... you guessed it... it's black and white!

I would recommend checking that you know what standard your country uses, before anything else. If you're in the US, choose NTSC (but there are two versions of this, so be careful) and if you're in South Africa (like me!) or most of Europe, then PAL is the way to go.

Hope this clears up the issue for at least some people?
Lau   2004-11-03 06:17
Fixed on linux sys! Thanks :)
midron   2004-11-29 08:04
bravo re jason. Eisai Palikari!!!!!!
Even if i got crazy cause i had already tried to switch to svideo( that's what i use), and at the end i should switch it to composite.
Cheeeeeeeers!!
planedude   2004-12-18 12:47
Try going to the format advancedd tab the adjusting your saturation in the settings tab. Worked for me , it resets to 0 for some reason.

planedude
kvinx3   2005-01-04 14:27
i am having that same black and white tv problem with my ati card, i dont know how to change the settings for the s-video/composite on the ati card, can anyone help?
barry   2005-01-06 18:42
had same problem, fx5200, i upgraded my drivers to the latest detonators and my tv out switched to black and white (it worked on my old drivers perfect beforehand)
anyhow the problem was that the saturation was turned down, adjusted the slider a bit and bingo, it worked fine :) thanks for all the tips folks.
khaosreaper   2005-01-16 17:24
I had the same problem with XP and a GeForce MX420 with the latest Nvidia drivers. What fixed it for me was to change the 'default monitor' driver XP had decided to use for the TV on the TV-out connector. When I forced it to use the 'Generic Television' driver, I got my color back. Something to try if nothing else has worked and you're about ready to toss your video card out the window. ;)
plAAmen   2005-01-19 06:45

THANKS JASON!!!
Casper   2005-01-21 08:17
Hey khaosreaper - how did you get the generic television driver???
ahlie   2005-01-25 11:24
Hi guys,

I have same problem that mentioned before. I'm getting so annoyed by the B/W. When I go to the nview. I would like to change the monitor freq from 60hz to 50. Some people said if pal runs in 60hz. The pic will be B/W. Is that the reason? But I can't change from my computer. I try many method mentioned above but it still not working. What can I do? Forget it?

Please help! Thanks!
clonewarlord   2005-02-01 19:44
yayayayayayayayya - Jason you big star
I did roll back the new driver first and what do ya know - composite all the way.
A working computer is a joy to behold.......

if you guys get bored

http://www.boreme.com/bm/JAN05/a/vw-suicide-bomber/fr.htm

look out and up and see the sky
Bud   2005-07-30 07:34
Hi, your idea worked i know have color.. i to hadhad a problem with changing the settings, they are non selectiable, somehow i was able to change it to composit video.. problem is now, the desktop is perfect in color on the tv, but when i play a movie in windows media player, the moviewill not show.. completely black on the tv..

any ideas?

thanks!
budsmith316@yahoo.com
azkilla   2005-08-07 05:23
Okay now what if i tried manually switchin on s-video and its still doing it on the secondary "TV" output ???????? some1 help please
azkilla   2005-08-07 12:43
BUD right click on nvidia on system icons by the clock, go to nview display settings, clone and tv+monitor if that dont work do the other 1 monitor+tv let me know if that worked im still trying to figure out whats up with this black and white thing mine is still doing this even after i put it on s video manually
Ron   2005-08-12 22:38
Well there was a program I could use b4 could actually tvtool97 but its shocking time limited trial verson that runs quite unpredictably.. you can change it to dual screen after 5 minutes of trying only to find you are now stuck on dual screen.. LOl... OR worse still no screen at all..
You need a safe mode boot and run the program again to fix it up..
Rich Emms   2005-08-20 08:57
There might be a jumper setting on the graphics card for PAL and NTSC, most probably ship as NTSC as japan and america uses it, if you are in a PAL or SECAM region (secam is a different way of broadcasting PAL, basically the french being different) you will need to change it. most TVs just give out a BW signal but cheaper ones usually handle everything as its cheaper to produce one product for all regions. PAL is better anyway as both cause noticable flicker close up but NTSC has fewer lines. the card will give out 50hz for Pal and 60hz for NTSC regardless of monitor settings.
oKn   2005-09-02 15:52
I was having B&W problems(xfx 6200)... I've tried all, but the only thing that worked was to "make" the cable myself using this as guide:
http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/misc/005/index.html
James   2005-09-04 00:18
When I set to either s-video or auto the TV went B/W, but I tried to set composite and the TV
went with color just for a flash then go blank.

Need help ! Thanks

Galaxy 6600GT AGP
Mark   2005-09-06 23:44
Hey, i got the same black and white problems. I have a nVidia 4200 Go card. It used to put out in color, cause it came with an adaptor to goto RCA and Composite Audio and has another svideo jack. But now when i use the RCA adaptor, it only puts out in black and white, the probelm seemed to start after service pack 2 came out last yr. I had my mother board replaced, so i know it isnt that. I used my roommates svideo to rca cable and that put out in color. i tried two different adaptors and different tv's but no luck other than using an svideo cable. I know that the svideo out on my laptop had 3 extra prongs in the middle, could it be that messing with my picture some how? i think they are for audio out. Thanks.

Mark
Seb   2005-09-13 12:16
Hi i was getting the same problem that Jason originally had and then used the advice you came up with, but it still remains in B&W, any ideas?
Edvar   2005-09-23 17:05
In my case it happened that, I was using the old driver and I got a colored image, but after updating the drivers no more colors. I keep complaining to JATON´s help service, and just like a stupid machine they replied with the same thing of s-video to composite again and again. Well after some hours I noticed there is an option about "device adjustments" or settings, where you will find your TV´s bright and constrast settings with a nice sliding bars.

There is ALSO a SATURATION bar, you must set it all the way to the RIGHT, because for an unknown reason that damn bar is all the way to the LEFT when you install these drivers, leaving you with a B&W image

I hope that helps
Edgar

Fortune Favours the Bold
LEZ   2005-09-25 13:35
Good Job on the B&W problem Jason. Now can any one tell me how come i can't see movies when i play them through TV out.(I can see everything else on tv in color).
I can see all screens but when i play a movie on media player, win amp or real time all i can see is the play buttons no picture on my tv. I can see every thing on my cpu but movie screen is black on tv.
Also do any one know the best settings for the tv out. I have a GeForce FX 5200.
Please Help!
Edvar   2005-09-26 12:10
Is it a DVD movie?? or any movie?? if it is a DVD movie odds are you cant see it because it is protected.

Fortune Favours the Bold
LEZ   2005-09-26 15:55
No its not a DVD movie its any movie played on media player or winamp.
I also get a lot of flickreing.(I think this got something to do with settings)
coolio   2005-10-04 08:53
thankx alot brother Jason,..Uv just saved me after wastin 58hrs btn ma comp en ma tv. Otherwise many greetings from Hamburg, Germany.
kermit   2005-10-06 07:13
To everyone, who's using S-video -> SCART cable to link their laptop to their TV set and only gets black and white image.
Check out this link:
http://camp0s.altervista.org/sVideo/sVideo.htm
It worked great for me. Actually, i don't own a soldering iron, so I just used some wire. Hope it works for u, too.
Paul   2005-10-11 07:38
Help... I tried everything here and when I change the setting to Composite, it flashs to color for 1 sec then goes blink and changes back to b/w after 15 secs. I have the FX5200.
James   2005-10-14 20:26
Finally Fixed!! Download beta driver 81.84 from here

http://dl.pconline.com.cn/html/2/5/dlid=11535&dltypeid=2&pn=0&.html
lan   2005-10-15 01:25
Lez wrote :
Good Job on the B&W problem Jason. Now can any one tell me how come i can't see movies when i play them through TV out.(I can see everything else on tv in color).
I can see all screens but when i play a movie on media player, win amp or real time all i can see is the play buttons no picture on my tv. I can see every thing on my cpu but movie screen is black on tv.

Lez - I had the same problem and the solution was to
make the hardware acceleration to none/medium
Go to tools -> options -> performance and try
changing this option. By the way i have a Geforce MX420
lan   2005-10-15 01:26
By the way, the option is in the windows media player
Martin   2005-10-17 07:17
Thx Jason! That fixed the problem...You are a pearl...
Martin   2005-10-17 07:21
Thx Jason! That fixed the problem...You are a pearl...
Rabbit80   2005-11-01 01:51
Similar problem, but for me the solution is simple... It only occurs on my TV if there is something connected to SCART 2 at the same time that I try to use the s-video input. This appears to be quite common to a lot of TV's I have seen - i.e. sharing SCART and S-Video inputs.

Using FX5200 and Philips 28" Widescreen TV
John   2005-11-05 09:49
AWESOME... This post has totally helped me sort out my Black and White video problem. I bought a S-Video to Scart connector from my local market for only £3.00 plugged it in and guess what? It was black and white. I read all these posts, and the solution was the simple solder the wire in thing... It totally works and I don't own a soldering iron. So i just wrapped the wire around and it worked fine. If anyone missed the link it was:

Thanks Kermit you rock. By the way I use a Geforce FX 5200. The only bad thing is when you have it on Clone the video is black on one screen and nice picture on other. But other than that its cool now.

Koookadoodledoooo
Shawn   2005-11-09 16:11
Just wanted to say that I fixed this issue by rolling back the driver and sliding the saturation bar over. Didn't work without the driver roll back though. I'm using version 5.6.7.3
Latex   2005-11-10 17:36
For the poor people who did get there TV out to work
in full colour but have no picture on the second display. Fear not cause its a simple setting in the Nvidea display properties ... Go to the nvidea tab in display properties and you will see a full screen video tab ...(disabled by default) Set it to secondary device and your tv output will default to fullscreen. Seems this FAQ is not for the completely fucking thick :)

The issue with the black and white tv output is definitely related to a driver update because mine was working fine, same TV same cable same PAL mode.
Worked fine before the new driver ...

Life is a bitch ... accept reality
Badefroe   2005-11-14 07:43
Hi All,

I had this problem over a year ago, did what Jason suggested and the problem went away. When I recently updated the display driver for my FX 5200 to version 77.77, the colours disappeared and the Jason-trick no longer solved anything (image completely disappeared). I re-updated to version 81.85 which didn't solve the problem. The saturation slider thing didn't solve the problem. Forcing the use of the "Generic Television" driver instead of "Default Monitor" didn't solve the problem... I finally uninstalled the new NVIDIA driver (81.85) and re-installed my old driver (version 56.72), did the Jason-trick and lo and behold, the colours came back. Thanks to Shawn for that idea.

Take care.
Jimmy   2005-12-06 10:05
Hello

I had this same problem heres the fix:

Look at the s-video connector and you will see it comprises of four pins and a block of plastic used as a key to prevent you pushing the connector in the wrong way round. The pair of pins at the bottom (furthest away from the plastic key) need to be connected together. You will then find you are in glorious technicolour!

Jimmy
Jimmy   2005-12-06 10:07
BTW the most simple method is to find a short strand of copper out of another piece of multi stranded cable. Use a pin to form a loop in one end and then place the loop over one of the two pins in question. Now take the other end of your length of copper wire and bend it round the second pin. Or you could just do figure of eights around the two pins etc.

Jimmy
THQ   2005-12-26 07:11
I had the black & white problem, in the past i just selected s-video or composite. Now with new drivers, these options are not available (i tried to find them). I found that trying a NTSC option for the TV format (I have PAL) but not accepting the change after 15 seconds but returning to my PAL option, i (by a miracle you could say) got color.

THQ
avec   2005-12-26 18:24
I tried my s-video/component to scart adapter and only got b&w. Reading this page and the fact that my tv has a s-video on the side solved my problem. I got my color as fast as I changed to s-video directly. At least now I am aware. But, this (mentioned by someone else earlier) and this page explaines better what the problem might be.
Stephen   2006-01-18 09:32
I have been having a problem with my Sparkle Geforce fx5200 AGP graphics card for a while.

The colour works fine until I run something that uses Direct3d in Fullscreen, ie a game or Google Earth in fullscreen, after about 15 minutes of use in this type of situation the output to the tv turns black and white and will only return to colour after about 10mins after closing the app using direct3d.
Fullscreen movies work fine.

Any chance that one of you knowledgeable peeps out there has come across this prob before and can give me some pointers.

My own feeling is that it may be an overheating prob but myh pc dosen't run that hot.

Anyway thanks for any help that anyone can render.

------------------------------------
Believe not what you are told
Only what is tangible.
dan   2006-01-23 13:04
Jason, You are the man, Thank you so much for helping out with the black and white problem, It would have taken me years to find it on my own, Thank YOU. Anyway, go Nvidia!

DJ Quick
ImaX   2006-02-08 01:06
Hiya. I hade the same BW problem. Then I connected my Scart (Comp-vhs-scart-tv(EXT1)) to the 2:ed EXT(EXT-2) And it was still black and white. But then I changed to look around all the av(EXT) chanals, and to my supries I hade a perfect colored picture on EXT-2s.(It only shows up when my computer is on, and EXT-1 dosn't have one.)

So thats how I got color :)
Matrox fan   2006-02-11 21:36
just bye a matrox graphic card their tv-out is the best I've seen.. I use matrox card when I have to VJ and then is a high quality video out a must!!
Anna - NoMovie picture   2006-02-13 19:13
azkilla thankyou!!

I have been looking everywhere. I could see colour on my TV but the movies never showed in Windows Media Player or any other codec I downloaded.

To fix this I right-clicked on the Nvidia icon by the clock, Nvidia Display Settings, Clone, and selected TV+LKM Analog Display.

And now I can see the picture of movies, thanks! Only hope I can remember this next time i format!

Thanks again azkilla

Anna NZ
Wormsite   2006-02-16 22:03
Guys i am using Toshiba Satelite P20 laptop it has G force Fx Go 5200. I am unable to get svideo output. The drivers i believe do not support it.. my current driver version is 6.14. There are no current updates Is it drivers or is it something else that i need to do? Would appreciate your help
Marten   2006-02-21 04:38
THANK YOU for the tip about the settings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
patman   2006-02-21 11:55
Thanks Jason the display properties thing worked
bobbie   2006-03-01 05:48
thanks to Jason for the solution to the black & white problem with tv out...composite it was...cheers
CruddyBuddy   2006-03-13 15:45
I have a Nvidia GeForce2 440 MX working in a Windows MCE machine. After a week of trying to figure out why my picture was fuzzy, I finally found this thread. THANKS JASON!
Neil   2006-03-20 14:45
I have just been playing for 3 hours with my s-video cable and reading this info on here and i thought i was at whits end....

the problem i chad was trying to find the 'composite Video-Out' part, i couldn't find this ANYWHERE just like this guy who posted..

----------
Myrtul 2004-02-19 13:10
i don t have s-video/composite choice, only a big list of tv format (pal/ntsc... ) for several countries...
did i missed something???
-----------

Now this is where i got stuck so i kept playing, what worked for me was....

putting the Nvidia settings NOT ON CLONE, but on SINGLE screen view and then chose the TV, which then turned off the signal to my PC monitor(which went off)

This then aloud me to enter the 'Advanced' mode where all the 'big list of tv format (pal/ntsc... ) for several countries' was,

i then was able to choose COMPOSITE VIDEO OUT and then change the 'pal/ntsc' format to BELGIUM (altho im in england) and then that all worked for me!

then i changed the screen views BACK TO CLONE and its all working now.

I would just like to personally thank everyone for their help on here!

Neil
corpusstalker   2006-03-23 14:44
if u have done the composite Video-Out and all that stuff and pic is still B+W try changing the tv format 2 ur region as in pal or ntsc

corpusstalker
Steve Hill   2006-04-25 19:51
WOAH ok... i had already tried EVERYTHING, quite literally, before i read jasons post i had already changed it severel times back and forth... then i reset the computer, and there was colour at the start up, but once i had logged in, it went again... so i changed it to composite video, even though im using an S-Video, and guess what?

NOTHING!

so i pressed cancel, read some more, did it again, but instead of pressing apply, i just pressed ok, and it WORKED... i now have a huge ass colour display on my tv...

man i remember back in the day when computers were just plug and play... this shit confuses me now...
ECarlson   2006-04-26 13:34
> Steve Hill wrote: "man i remember back in the day when computers were just plug and play..."

Then you must not go very far back. Back in the DOS 3.x days, we had to manually (physically) set the IRQ's and memory address ranges for all our cards, and manually configure driver settings. And that wasn't really all that long ago. :-)

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
ykyb   2006-05-10 20:48
Again, that black and white TV output problem....
When connecting to the TV (samsung) via S video I get a black and white picture.
I have a PC with XP (service pack 2) and nvidia.
I’ve made the followings :
- go to nvidia control panel
- go to nView display settings
- click on the tv , dual view
- click the device setting button, then choose select tv format, then choose advanced
- under "Video Output Format" select composit S-video-out
- set the output to be N/Pal (for Romania, but I am not so sure).

When I start the computer the TV output is in colour. It stays in colour until the blue XP welcome screen is displayed where upon it goes black and white.

It is not a cabling issue, because the cable works until windows loads its drivers.
I can not put the Tv on AV-S video channel, because it is an old TV, without this function.

Asking for help. Thank you.

Cristina
Nauman   2006-05-23 03:01
I have read many tips and tricks and followed all the tech articles and its not go for me. Evga 6200 AGP.

I am using a SVIDEO to RCA convertor. which goes to my VCR and then the VCR will push it to the TV. All I get is B/w.

I get color when I start my system, but as soon as the drivers kick in its all black. When I run in VGA mode is 8bit color The TV shows color. But when I switch to 32bitcolor and it goes BW.

So I grabbed a VCR from work which has SVID in. I plugged the Svid directly to the SidIn of the VCR then drive my TV, I get color fine in 32bit mode as well. I cant have that VCR at home.

So with that said, I am lost. I have tried switching from AutoSelect to SVIDEO and Composite, no help. Well if I select COMPOSITE I get a blank screen. and selecting SVid give me BW.

any other ideas?
thanks
Andrew   2006-05-24 08:51
I tried a method described above. Haven't been able to get tvout with color with my s-vhs cable since i bought the damn computer, but now i can.

::::FIX HERE::::
George   2006-06-04 03:14
Thanks a lot jason u saved me lots of time and effort.

I baught the hole kit but couldnt get it to work and the black and white was a real problem till i found your comment and stuff.

So cheers M8.

Geo
Falcon   2006-06-18 16:04
My 5200 is KILLING ME! Since I had it (a few years) I got it for this! it hasnt worked! I get an almostpic in color but garbled, justr like a monitor that the res is too highg, I hacve it at tghe lowest settings and its the same as the highest! I get fulll color and can se the icons or whatever son but it get diagenal lines so cant really make out whats what please he,p me someone before I through this through htis wall!
So close but still so far away, I thought for sure it was the srs cable but no luck nI went out thwe same day i got tje card nad bought a gold pated s-video with two rca conecters on ti
Some one pleaew tell me something? thatnks oyu guyswilll have a simple answer I am sure but me no lie been 3-4 years whan i g0t my XFX 5200 wit 250 mb sdram

thonmas Sloan
Andrew   2006-07-03 01:38
I bought one of those fancy gold plated s video cables and the black and white went away. origionally I had a "cheep'o". I didn't do any mods or change any settings on the video card.

Andrew
carl   2006-07-11 06:10
This is THE ONLY WORKING SOLUTION I'VE SEEN: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9243
Paul   2006-07-24 07:00
Hi there and sorry for interfering with the original matter, but i saw in the DB that andrew is the *only* one who submitted a multi-mon setup including a ATI X300 PCIE card in a Nvidia Nforce4 SLI type mobo. As I just bought this card (and it aint working, thats why I'm so desperate),
Andrew, if you have te time and read this, do you have any clues to why it aint working for me?
I opened a separate post here.
Sorry for being so OT, i'm so damn desperate (trying to power 2x21", 1x19", one SVGA-Beamer and a tv).

Thanks,

Paul
Kodster   2008-12-04 11:49
I've tried to connect the WinTV-950 to my PS2 via S-Video cables, but the A/V channel comes up black and white. What they said in the manual doesn't help at all.

"Resolution
If you want to get higher quality than Composite, then it will be necessary to use a mains
powered RGB to S-Video converter. If it doesn't require power then it isn't a converter - it is
just a simple adapter and will not do the job."

"A mains powered RGB-to-S-video converter"??? What the heck is that? I don't understand.

HELP! :(
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> TV on Nvidia Black and White