Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3D Acceleration on multiple cards
George   2004-01-18 20:40
Anybody know the definitive answers to what is supposed to work and what doesn't?

I have an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128DDR AGP with a DVI LCD monitor connected and a TV connected

I also have an ATI Radeon 9200 128 PCI with a DVI LCD monitor connected

First off, checking with the DirectX Caps Viewer (part of the DirectX SDK) I can see that the 2 9800 displays have 3D acceleration but the 1 9200 display does not!!! What's up with that?

Second, if I start a windowed 3D application (like any of the SDK samples), lets take the first one called "BasicHLSL". On the primiary 9800 display it runs at 1750fps! On the secondary 9800 display, the TV, it runs at 30fps!?!? and on the 9200 display it runs and a whole 9fps!!!!

Is this normal? Is there a way to get acceleration on all displays?
Christian Studer   2004-01-19 05:54
You should get Direct3D acceleration on both video cards, make sure you haven't reduced hardware acceleration for the 3rd monitor (Advanced Display Properties > Troubleshooting).

The windowed samples by default use the primary monitor for rendering, so you get best performance if the window is on the primary monitor. You can change this, after moving the window to a different monitor, select File\Change device from the menu and set the current monitor as the Direct3D device to be used.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
George   2004-01-19 17:43
thanks! It was set to have full acceleration

Running one of the samples though a picking "Change Device" when I selected the 9200 there was no D3DEVTYPE_HAL. Only D3DEVTYPE_REF

but just to try something I set it to no acceleration, clicked apply, then set it back to full, clicked apply, now it works.

Well at least that's solved I guess
George   2004-01-20 17:27
Ugh! I was wrong. After rebooting the 9200 went back to unaccelerated :-( Well, what I mean is although the control panel shows it at full acceleration, DirectX reports only the reference renderer, not the Hardware renderer. Sound like a bug in the drivers :-(
Paulie   2004-04-12 04:14
Very few applications support 3D accleration on multiple cards. The only wasy to get acceleration is to disable the other outputs and use only a single output. Once an application spans more than one display you can forget about acceleration. One of the few new softwares which does support 3D acceleration for up to four displays is Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004.

This particular issu has been a source of a lot of pain for me!!!
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3D Acceleration on multiple cards