Forums -> Multiple monitors -> AGP and PCI graphics cards
Dave   2004-02-09 20:41
Hi there.

I’ve got a Nvidia GeForce 2 MX 400/400 32mb AGP card and have tried to use it with the following two graphics cards retrieved from old computers:

Cirrus Logic 5446 PCI
S3 Trio64V2/DX PCI

When I launch with PCI as primary card I get no exclamation mark in device manager and everything is installed and working properly. When I check the “extend desktop onto this monitor” in the display settings the computer hangs up. I’ve been reading and reading and below are the three solutions I can come up with. Could you please evaluate them and add more if you feel necessary:

1. The PCI cards are too old and budget
2. The PCI cards don’t have enough installed memory
3. There is an IRQ conflict

If it is option 3 then what the hell do I do about it? I’m going to buy an SiS 305 32MB PCI Graphics Card today to rule out options 1 + 2. Is this a good idea? Other useful info:

Windows 2K, AMD 3000+, 512 Meg DDR Ram
All latest drivers installed and work fine when primary card is PCI
Both Dell monitors installed with correct drivers

All help is most most appreciated,

Dave
Vance   2004-02-09 23:16
I just bought a $40 Radeon 7000 PCI from accupc.com for my setup. It's a modern card and is more than you need for dual monitor setup. Forget those fossils.
Dave   2004-02-09 23:25
Would you recommend a SiS 305 32MB PCI GRAPHIC s Card? Bearing in mind I'm really on a *tight* budget

Dave
Dave   2004-02-10 06:12
I've done it! I've solved it!

I am the Multi-Monitor King Mohahahaha!!

Actually, I'm not. I've just stopped being a cheapskate and bought a reasonable graphics card (see above).

No need to update drivers
Set primary as AGP or PCI. Change it for fun.

Cheers!

Dave
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> AGP and PCI graphics cards