Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3 monitors / 3 video cards
Jeramey   2004-02-11 04:36
I have 3 monitors that I want to use. I currently have 2 ATI 3D Rage II+ cards and then the built in video card on my MB. I can get it to do 2 of my 3 monitors just fine, but the 3rd won't show up in display properties. All of the cards are listed under device manager just fine.

Any ideas??

Would it be easier to just go and get a dual VGA video card from ATI from $60.00 and then use the built in video card? Wouldn't that give me my three monitors?

Thanks!!
ecarlson   2004-02-11 13:34
Depends on your operating system. For Windows 98/ME, they might all work, but for Windows 2000/XP, only one of those Rage cards will work at a time. Get a nice inexpensive dual-out NVidia card, or a pair of cheap NVidia based cards.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Vance   2004-02-11 15:02
I assume the onboard is AGP, and the other two cards are PCI? If not, remember that if the onboard is AGP and you put an AGP card in the AGP slot you cannot use both the card and the onboard.
Jeffrey   2004-02-20 11:59
I am finding the same thing, a GEforce 3 AGP, and 2 3D Rage cards, with bios set to PCI video, I get 2 monitors but the second 3dRage doesnt enable in the Device manager, but the first does, I guessed this may because XP uses the same drivers for both cards and as a result caunt have 2 instances, so I change one ATI3DRage to aATI MAch64, but still having the same problem, the ATI Mach64 does not enable in the Device manager, and I am guessing this is to do with it being an ATI card, if I get a none ATI PCI card, will it work?
ecarlson   2004-02-20 12:54
NVidia based PCI cards are pretty good at working with other PCI cards. If you put an NVidia in with one of the old ATI cards, and if they don't both work at first, try swapping the slots they are using so the ATI gets initialized first, since that's what the old ATI needs.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3 monitors / 3 video cards