Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Using TV as a monitor
Mike   2004-02-16 05:41
I have a NVIDIA FeForce 2 MX 64 MB card with a S-Video port. I also have a great 36 inch Sony Wega HDTV. I bought a high quality S-Video cable ($45) and connected the PC to the TV.

The TV does work as a monitor but the quality of the picture is horrible. Very blurry. It hurts my eyes after 1 moinute of looking at it.

There aren't many better TVs out there and I was told by the store clerk that the S-video cable I bought was the best they sell. Is my card crap or is it just not possible to use a TV as a PC monitor?
orangepeel   2004-02-16 08:43
have you tried TV Tool? It can help improve picture quality. http://tvtool.info/index_e.htm

basicly there are different tv out chips, some are much better than others. my mini-itx as absolutely awful, although the one on my ATi is not too bad.

enlarging fonts can also improve things, however the trade-off for screen space is fairly harsh.

i've only found it suitable for movies/games. internet can be done but it's not as comfortable as with a proper monitor.
Mike   2004-02-16 09:26
I tried TV tool, it helped somewhat but the picture is still not good enough to use. Also the resolution isn't high enough. I can fit more on my 19 inch monitor than my 36 inch TV.
ecarlson   2004-02-16 09:59
S-Video is not capable of anywhere near the resolution of a regular VGA cable. Most S-Video outs will do fine at 640x480 (maybe even 800x600), which is near a normal TV resolution. What is the maximum rated resolution of you TV monitor? I'm sure your computer monitor has much higher resolution capabilities.

BTW: You got ripped on the cable. I hope you can return it for a full refund.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Madrus   2004-03-03 00:15
I have also had problems with S-VHS cable. Try the composite VHS cable. In my case the image was much better.
I still have discoloration problem (see my thread Discoloring of the TV image). I am going to try the grounded outlet this evening.
Good luck!

Madrus
m2h   2004-03-25 19:56
You will need a VGA to Component Transcoder (assuming your HDTV set supports Component in).

AudioAuthority makes one.

They usually cost in the neighbourhood of $200.

But think.. you can output your computer into a native HDTV resolution.

Other than that, you'll have to optimize your computers desktop to be legible. Large fonts, with good contrast between colours help a lot.

io
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Using TV as a monitor