Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multiple default monitors in device mgr. Normal???
Mark G   2004-02-18 14:37
Hi all.
I have 3 default monitors showing up under "monitors" in device manager, plus the monitor that's actually hooked up to my PC [Samsung LCD]. Is this normal? If I try to delete the monitors, they come back after rebooting.

Initially, I downloaded the latest nvidea GeForce4 drivers and installed Nview attempting to hook up a TV as a second output on my video card [Svideo] but then abandoned the idea. Afterwards, I noticed the 3 default monitors. I don't recall if they were there before. Anyway, I now get a intermittent shuttering when trying to edit video. I'm not sure if it's related to the multiple monitors or if they're using up resources. But it's a good place to begin checking I guess.

I read conflicting reports from a Google search. Some explain how to eliminate the monitors (not easy), even a post on this forum. OTOH, there was a post in a Dell forum by an engineer answering that XP will display the number of monitors that the video card can potentially "power". So, it my case that could make it normal (VGA, Svideo, DVI).

What's your take? Any help appreciated. Thanks,
M Greenwald

Epox 4g4a+ 845intel, 1G ram, 2.53G P4, GeForce4 TI4200 w/128mb
ecarlson   2004-02-19 13:50
The card is only capable of 2 simultaneous outputs, so that means you have 2 ghost monitors that shouldn't be there. You might try uninstalling your video driver, and get the computer running only on the standard Windows VGA driver, then make sure there is only one monitor listed, then reinstall the latest drivers from NVidia, and hopefully you'll only see 2 monitors.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multiple default monitors in device mgr. Normal???