Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Discoloring of the TV image
Madrus   2004-03-01 22:51
Hi everyone,

I have an nVidia GeForce2 MX 440 and I am using the composite video out with 10 m high quality cable with gilded connectors and a gilded SCART. In the shop they told me that it was the best I could get.

So, I got my TV image in color, BUT...

...there is an ugly discolored horizontal stripe (looks like a slightly overexposed part of your picture) that slowly moves downwards and then again starts from the top of the picture.

Has anyone a suggestion how to fix this? Thanx!

Madrus
ecarlson   2004-03-02 14:23
Sounds like interference. Could be due to the long cable. Try a short cable to see if it goes away.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Madrus   2004-03-02 20:17
Thanks. Yesterday, I tried several things.

First, a high quality 10m S-VHS cable with a very expensive SCART. The discoloring became even worse. So I plugged back my composite cable and the quality improved to a better level than the day before.

Meaning that a better SCART with the reasonable composite gave better results than with a high-end S-VHS cable.

My old computer has been connected with the second SCART for months using a simple 5m S-VHS cable. The resulting picture on the TV is wonderful.

So finally I put both cables from both computers on my new SCART, started a film on my new computer and - wonder! - the picture on the TV became almost perfect! I could not believe my eyes!

It looks like the second cable from my old PC "stabilizes" the image somehow. So probably it has nothing to do with cables as such.

My guess now is the Ground. My new computer is connected to a socket that is not grounded whereas the other computer's socket is grounded.

What do you think?

Any other possibilities? E.g. can it be that a better graphic card gives a better (stronger?) signal or something like that?

Any ideas are welcome because everything has yet a warranty.

Greetz,

Madrus
Madrus   2004-03-03 17:11
Yesterday, I have tried the grounded socket. It did not change a thing. So it has nothing to do with that.

Any suggestions?

Madrus
ecarlson   2004-03-04 10:43
Does that monitor work fine with other sources? Is it compatible with the signal you are sending it? Try plugging the computer and that monitor into the same outlet, with an extension cord if necessary.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
wbarber69   2004-03-20 15:27
it's most likely got something to do with either the frequency of your psu which could be fixed with a good sheilded cable, as far as the grounding goes its not the card being grounded that makes a difference as it is probably a loose connection somewhere around a power cable somewhere, you said you didn't have the problem with your older computer, which I'm going to guess is running a lower wattage in the psu than your new one, not to take into account that the new crap they build cases out of these days doesn't help much, it could also be a network cable or a cable line running to a cable modem that gets a little too close to a video or power line
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Discoloring of the TV image