Forums -> Multiple monitors -> TV Tuner selection
Noah Alvarez   2001-03-18 08:30
On the FAQ section I read that the Hauppauge TV tuners work properly on both displays (two monitor setup). I have been looking a their website and they offer pci/usb tuners. Of the two which one has been proven to work?

Dell Dimension 4100
OS's : Win ME fully patched
P3 1Ghz/512 MB PC133/Intel 815E chipset
Phoenix BIOS A05
IBM Deskstar ATA100 45 Gb hard drive
SBLive Value! X-Gamer 5.1
Creative Labs/CSW DeskTop Theater 5.1 DTT3500 Digital
32MB DDR Nvidia GeForce 2 GTS AGP 4X (Primary Video Display)
Creative Labs 3D RIVA TNT2 M64 32MB PCI (SecondaryVideo Display)
2 x 19" Samsung SyncMaster 950p monitors
OE & IE 5.5 SP1
DirectX 8.0
PowerDVD 3.0

Noah
Eric   2001-03-21 03:35
I use a WinTV PCI (Model 401). It works great!

Specs:
Win2000 / P3-650 / Abit BX6 r2 motherboard
Vid Card #1:
AGP Diamond Viper V770 Ultra
(Nvidia RIVA TNT2 chipset)

Vid Card #2:
PCI Appian Graphics Jeronimo four-port
(3Dlabs Permedia 2 chipset)

Eric
Ben Kane   2001-03-31 03:26
Does the Hauppage card work equally well in both monitors? ie. I'd like to be able to have it running in a window on my secondary monitor sometimes, and sometimes be full-screen on my primary monitor. Should this work fine with this card? Does it depend on what video cards I have for my primary and secondary displays?

Thanks,
Ben Kane
Noah Alvarez   2001-03-31 21:07
Hi:

I ordered the card two days ago I will post my findings and results. If is does work properly I will be stuck with paying a $10 re-stocking fee.

Noah
Noah Alvarez   2001-04-09 21:02
Eric/Everybody:

I finally got the Hauppauge 401 PCI Tv/tuner card installed and it does not work on my second monitor.

Before I start fighting with it can you tell me what drivers did you try? I noticed from your post that you are using Win2K and a Appian graphics card, maybe I need to upgrade, but I'm not ready to throw away my other graphics card. Any info will be appreciated.

Noah
Matthew Melendy   2001-05-21 12:31
There are two ways I have found to get a standard PCI WinTV working with multiple monitors on Windows 2000.

1) Use Hauppauge's standard Vfw drivers and WinTv2000 application. The only way this worked for me was to set the "Primary" applet to use DIB draw mode. I never could get overlay to work properly on a secondary monitor with VfW.

With DIB draw, the TV can be dragged to any monitor, but performance is bad (lots of flickering horizontal lines.)

You also cannot scale the picture larger than the maximum resolution of the capture driver (640x480.) And CPU utilization hovers between 5-10% for the Wintv application.

2) Install the notorious WDM drivers and try your luck with a newer third party app! Here's what you will need.

a) You can obtain WinTV WDM drivers either from Hauppauge's ftp site, or from the ATV2000 web site. I used the latter (they are modified Conexant drivers.)

b) Make sure you have at least DirectX 8.0a installed, as well as the DirectX Digital Video update.

c) Make sure your graphics card drivers are up to date and support DirectX 8 if possible. All three of my cards are ATI Xpert 128 PCI, using driver version 5.13.01.192.

d) Pick your 3rd party app and try it out! Choices include Showshifter, DeskTV, MyTV, BaoTV, etc. See
TV-Cards.com for some ideas.

e) For WinTV, my recommendation at the moment is ATV2000.

The latest preview version of ATV2000 works well for me in WDM mode (the only supported mode for Windows 2000.) Overlay mode works on any monitor (assuming you have decent graphics card drivers.)
The image is scalable to any size (eg., all 3 of my monitors run 1120x864) and has zero CPU utilization!

The kicker is that you can push your TV window to the desktop of any of your monitors by "minimizing" the window!

I'd be interested to hear of other third party TV apps people have got working on multi-monitors.

Matt Melendy
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> TV Tuner selection