Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Lost TV tuner on ATI 9000 AiW
jason   2004-03-23 09:33
I hooked up an old mach64 PCI card to my system to run the second monitor. To get this card to work with XP you need to set it as the primary card in the BIOS. This in turn makes it the primary card in windows which has caused programs such as ATI's multimedia center to list it as the primary card. Being the underperformer that it is, it won't even run the TV tuner.

Is there anyway around this? Can anyone recomend a PCI card that doesn't need to be set as the primary one to work in XP with my AiW 9000pro?

thanks
jason
Nick Spencer   2004-03-24 04:11
Jason, there's bad news, and there's worse news.

First, the bad news. ATI will not allow you to use the TV features on their AIW products unless the AIW is the Primary graphics card.

Now, the worse news. Current CATALYST drivers do not allow the TV feature to work in a multi-monitor environment. Disable the secondary monitors (only one monitor works), and the TV works fine. Enable the other monitors, and you receive the "failed to initialize" error from the TV.

ATI's response from other customers is, "this is an unsupported configuration", describing the use of multiple graphics cards.

Recommendations? After research, I've determined that a separate TV tuner card with HARDWARE CODEC is the best choice, as it will minimize CPU useage and work with multiple monitors. That's my plan for my next computer.

Nick

ABIT KR7A w/ Athlon XP 1900+
ATI AIW 9800 Pro AGP
ATI 9000 PCI (blurry, but useable)
Colorgraphic GT 4 PCI (uninstalled, won't play with other ATI cards)
3 Viewsonic G810 21" space heaters
Enjoying 4800x1200 nirvana - with a slight headache - and no TV
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Lost TV tuner on ATI 9000 AiW