Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Mobility Radeon 9600 under Windows 2000
Tam   2004-03-29 00:59
Hi,

I have a laptop HP NC6000 with ATI Mobility Radeon 9600. The OS is windows 2000. I have an external Flat LCD monitor connected.

I can not make the multi display works. I can only use the external monitor as a mirror of the built-in display (clone mode). I can not set up the external monitor to show different contents.

Is it possible in any way to do so? Or This chip just won't do it under windows 2000?

Thanks in advance.
Christian Studer   2004-03-29 05:16
Make sure you have the latest drivers, desktop Radeon 9xxx cards do support multi-monitor under Windows 2000.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Jason   2004-05-11 00:57
It IS possible, but I can't quite figure out how yet.

Currently our standard laptop is the Compaq nc8000. I have been trying to get it to work for some time now. It IS possible because I did have it working, but then when I re-imaged the machine to try and re-produce my success with all the same software I downloaded I have not been able to.

My success was related to using either the latest desktop catalyst drivers (using mobilemod to allow them to work for the laptop) or using the omegadrivers. Can't confirm which as I still haven't been able to reproduce my success.

Still working on it...unless someone else has a definite solution
Jason   2004-05-24 03:26
(Copy/paste of a solution I pasted on HP's forums. I had great difficulty in getting extended desktop working on my HP NC8000 using a radeon 9600 in win2k, however I have applied these steps to several of these new notebooks at work now and have worked everytime.)
--------
I have been able to get it working, with some fairly detailed steps. I got it working over the weekend, came into the office today, loaded a standard windows 2000 image back onto the laptop, and step by step went through what I felt was what finally worked, and at the last step when I felt my span option should be there - it was.

Basically what worked for me was using ATI's catalyst drivers for the desktop radeon cards - and using a little utility I got from rage3d.com called mobilemod. This modifies the drivers to allow them to install on the laptop's mobility video card.

Here are the steps I went through that worked for me, I can only hope it works for others, but can't guarantee.

1.Download ATI catalyst drivers for Radeon series - Windows 2000. At the time that I got this working the latest version was 6.14.10.6436. The install file is called wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-00-040322a-014266c.exe.

2.Download Mobilemod, I got it from the rage3d forums http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33717450
Don't do anything with this yet - we will use it later.

2.Run wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-00-040322a-014266c.exe - it will extract the files to c:\ati\support\..., it WILL then have an ERROR, this is simply because it then tries to install the driver, but can't because it detects it is the wrong driver for your card.

3.Under control panel, uninstall the ATI control panel, and the ATI video drivers.

4.Reboot
After the reboot the hardware detection wizard will pop up on the screen, don't close it, leave it on the screen for now, we will run through it in just a moment

5.Through the registry editor, delelete registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ATI Technologies - note that I had 2, I deleted both.

6.Through windows explorer, browse to c:\winnt\system32 (ensure that you can see system and hidden files) and delete all files starting with ati*. On my laptop there were about 18.

7.Install MobileMod that you downloaded in step 2, run mobilemod from C:\MM4\r3dmm4.exe
Select Load Driver Set
Browse to C:\ATI\SUPPORT\wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-00-040322a-014266c\Driver\2KXP_INF\ and make sure you select the the dropdown box at the bottom and change it to Windows2000 driver, and select C2_14266.inf.
Note: This step may vary in filenames depending on the catalyst drivers you downloaded, a new version came out on May 12th, I was using one version previous to that which I mentioned earlier.

8.Now return to the hardware detection wizard that you left running, and proceed through it. When you are at the point where you are specifying where it is going to search your computer for the driver, select specify location, and browse to the now modded inf file at C:\ATI\SUPPORT\wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-00-040322a-014266c\Driver\2KXP_INF\C2_14266.inf

9.Reboot

10.Install ATI control panel from C:\ATI\SUPPORT\wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-00-040322a-014266c\CPanel

11.Reboot

12.Done! Right click the desktop --> properties --> settings --> advanced --> displays --> you should now have the 2 green buttons (to make a total of 4) that allow you to span to the right or down.

I hope that helps someone, this took me quite some playing to figure out.

Jason Congdon
steven warman   2004-07-11 07:56
Will the instructions provided above proved a "dual view" type setup. I can extend the desktop to my second monitor, but ultramon only detects it as one big monitor. Any way to make it act as two independent displays?
Luiz Fernando   2004-07-30 04:06
Hi,

To solve this problem make a download of new driver version from http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/hpcpqnk/us/download/21100.html.

Luiz Fernando
Mike   2004-08-16 12:27
I notice when I reboot that it starts to install the radeon drivers out of the driver cahe directory? This stops the proper install of the modified drivers. Any thoughts?
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Mobility Radeon 9600 under Windows 2000