Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Advice on video cards
Kenr   2004-04-22 12:10
Today I just got 2 Dell 2001FP's and an Ergotron twin monitor stand. Wow this is really cool.

I have these two monitors on my credenza where I do most of my computer work. I also have a 17 Dell LCD on my desk, which I just use for one on one presentations with clients. Right now I have a Radeon 7500 dual head card, one DVI and one analog output. I would like to run the 2 2001fps in extended mode but occassionally run the smaller monitor on my desk. I am having a tough time finding a video card that will do the trick. I want to run both the 2001fp's with the DVI inputs. The smaller monitor can't run at 1600x1200, so that rules out the Matrox Parhelia. The 4 head Xentera GT looks good but it is expensive.

I have read here if I put 2 video cards in my system the pci card will be my primary (my bios doesn't appear to have a option to change that), so I guess the pci card needs to be the 2 head dvi and I would plug in an inexpensive agp card for occasional use smaller monitor.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I really don't want my pci card the be the primary and I am not ready for a new PC.

Thanks
Ken
Phi Dinh   2004-04-23 01:06
You can make the AGP card the primary in bios.

If there isn't the option in the bios, try pressing F11 to turn on the advanced options, and if it still isnt there you can upgrade your motherboard Bios.

It should be free, no you wont need to buy a new pc.

Find out what motherboard you have, go to their manufacturer website and get the bios upgraded.
ecarlson   2004-04-24 03:21
Get an NVidia based dual-DVI AGP card, and an NVidia based PCI card, and you should be okay. I've used an NVidia based PCI and AGP card in same computer (though they were older cards), and they worked fine no matter which was set as primary in BIOS. And Windows has it's own setting for primary, so it doesn't really matter which is primary in BIOS once Windows is running.

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Advice on video cards