Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Screensavers/wallpapers
Sam   2004-05-04 21:49
Screensavers:

How can I get a screensaver to work on both monitors as if it were one. i.e.,The screensaver I have used for awhile is Serenescreen. It's a very realistic aquarium screensaver. Can I get the fish to swim from one screen to the other? The way it works now is the secondary monitor shuts off when the screensaver starts on the primary monitor. The only ones that seem to work like that are the WinXP default screensavers.

Wallpapers:

I think I'm on the verge of solving this one but can't figure it out. I have several dual monitor wallpapers that I've downloaded and I try to display them as I would any other wallpaper except I use the 'tile' feature. This displays the image across both screens but not in the right order(does that make sense?)

Also, I do NOT have Ultramon. I'm asking these questions to determine if I need to purchase it.

Thx
m2h   2004-05-05 15:59
What OS are you using?

For wallpapers, you'll have to a little work since you do not have Ultramon.

Turn on activedesktop.
For the wallpaper you'll have to edit in a GFX program. What you'll do is splice it up so that the each tile will be on the correct monitor, now put them all together to make one picture, that looks really wacked. Then go in to the Active Destop setting and only change the propertie for the background to the newly created image. VOILA! :)

Or.. that's a pian.. skip the Active Desktop stuff, since you said the Tile option will make it span and use the newly created image for the wallpaper.

Screensaver:
As I understand only some will work in a multimonitor setup only if it supports it. Ultramon will allow you to use screensavers across multimonitors though, but not all work with it.

-- m2h was here ;)
Sam   2004-05-07 10:50
I've gotten the wallpaper problem fixed but I still need help with screensavers. You stated that Ultramon will allow my screensavers to do what I'm asking but the Screensavers page from the link on the Ultramon home page says it will enable each monitor with an independent screensaver. It does not state that a screensaver can be stretched to different screens just by purchasing Ultramon. Can anyone dispute this or tell me of a program that will allow this function?
TripleJ   2004-05-08 12:43
I too wish for SereneScreen to work on two monitors. I use ultramon, and I can't even get two independent instances of serenescreen working, if I choose to run it on both then it just shuts off the secondary monitor like you said.

I can't get just the secondary and a different primary either.
m2h   2004-05-08 23:25
As I stated only some screensavers will work in a multimonitor setup. So basically if you can't get it to work, then it probally is not possible.
Smoosh   2004-05-13 21:17
Your screensavers don't work on both monitors due to the fact that your video card doesn't support DirectX on two monitors simultaniously as only very few specialized cards do this (for example video cards that allow you to play a 3D game spread over two or three monitors). Your standard windows screensavers are made for DirectDraw which IS supported by almost all dual monitor setups. In other words... if you want a dual montor screensaver you'll just have to stick to DirectDraw screensavers and leave the 3D stuff to single monitor setups.

P.S. I use UltraMon so i'm not sure if it's possible to use two different screensavers without it as there's no option in windows to set up wallpapers and screensavers per monitor or to spread them over both. The previously mentioned solution by way of tiling with a custom made wallpaper is indeed a good workaround for people without UltraMon.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Screensavers/wallpapers