Forums -> Multiple monitors -> pro and con of putting 8x agp display card in 4x agp slot.
darien   2004-05-06 14:52
greet.8x agp display card with dvi and analog output are now hot in market. but my problem is that my agp slot in my motherboard support 4x.the shopowner encourage me to buy agp display card instead of buy pci card. it more cheaper and can be use in future if i upgrade my computer.
wat is pro and con putting 8x agp display card in 4x agp slot?if i wan to buy 8x agp display card and slot into my motherboard, do you encourage that?give me some guide.thankx.

AMD Duron 800MHz
640 MB RAM
120 GB HDD
WinXP OS
LCD : Samsung SyncMaster 172T
CRT : Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX
AGP Video : GeForce2 64MB AGP
PCI Video : S3 Trio32/64
rob   2004-05-06 14:57
your not gunna notice any real reduction in performance by running your card at 4x instead of 8x. you will be much happier with the agp card at ANY X vs. the pci card...

_HA.MaN_
darien   2004-05-06 15:15
but i'm doing dual monitor, using dvi and analog output. wat make me worried that gpu will have to do double job and cause lagging if i drag window over another monitor with different resolution. does it make sense?
anyway, do you ever experience any difficulties using 8x agp display card in 4x agp slot?

AMD Duron 800MHz
640 MB RAM
120 GB HDD
WinXP OS
LCD : Samsung SyncMaster 172T
CRT : Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX
AGP Video : GeForce2 64MB AGP
PCI Video : S3 Trio32/64
m2h   2004-05-06 18:23
Take if from me. You'll probally notice no difference. I use a MSI GeForce4 Ti4200-VDT8X on a 4X AGP bus. I also purchased the same card for a friends computer running at 8X. No noticiable difference in performance.

Other than the 3D speed, the 2D performance hasn't exactly changed that much over the years. I used to use a ATI Radeon VE, and before that a S3 Virge 4MB and ATI 2MB for dual display. Dragging a window from one display to the next is not exactly a major computation task.

So don't worrie about it.

-- m2h was here ;)
ecarlson   2004-05-07 11:31
Other than for 3D games, pretty much any semi-modern (within the last 2-3 years) video card solution, be it AGP, or PCI, will be as fast as anyone could wish.

If AGP is an option, always go with AGP over PCI (until the new PCI Express comes out, which will replace AGP, and is not to be confused with today's PCI).

- Eric www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> pro and con of putting 8x agp display card in 4x agp slot.