Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual Monitor perfomance w/9600XT
mordaga   2004-06-20 13:02
Posted - 06/21/2004 : 09:13:59
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am currently running dual nVidia cards for my 2 monitors. One is higher performance (AGP) that I use for gaming and the other was inexpensive (PCI) for the 2ndary monitor.

I would like to switch to the ATI Radeon 9600XT but I don't want to buy 2 new cards. I've seen some other posts that indicate that it is possible to run 2 monitors from a single 9600XT (using a dvi to rgb adapter for the 2nd monitor).

My question is: Will my gaming performance suffer noticably (and to what degree) if the 9600XT is driving 2 monitors at once. My guess is that there would have to be some performance hit since the processor has to deal with 2 displays (even if the 2nd one only has the desktop or a browser window displayed).

2nd question: How problematic is it to run ATI and nVidia at the same time (so I could keep using my 2ndary nVidia card). Will I have nasty driver issues? Has anyone had any success with this type of setup?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-Mordaga
ECarlson   2004-06-21 09:17
The NVidia should work fine as a secondary with the ATI, though I haven't tried it myself, since I only have NVidia cards (plus some other random older cards). Have you checked the database for that combo?

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Mike   2004-06-27 13:52
mordaga,

In my machine I have a 9600 xt agp, and was also running an older nvidia card, a g force 420 pci. They did run windows applications just fine but any games that I tried to play actually wouldn't run. The other problem I had was that the ati control panel didn't really want to run with the nvidia controls at the same time. I ended up giving up on that idea and just running both monitors through the 9600. It runs games fine and does let you jump back and forth between monitors, but as for the 9600 taking a performance hit I really wouldn't be able to help with as I don't play much games and just ran a few to test it out.
I hope that helps

mike
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual Monitor perfomance w/9600XT