Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Laptops and PCMCIA Dual Monitors
Mark   2004-06-24 15:30
In my business, my users almost all have laptops. They also have discovered the benefits a second monitor hooked up via a Margi PCMCIA card provides.

Unfortunately, I have had a pretty high failure rate with this card. I went looking for other cards, like the Traveler, but they are leaving the PCMCIA marketplace.

Can anyone suggest how I can get dual monitor going on a laptop? I don't want to mirror the laptop screen on the second screen. I want to use the laptop for one full-screen window and the other monitor for a diffrent full-screen window.

Machines are Compaqs running Win2000.

Thanks,

Mark
Christian Studer   2004-06-24 21:09
Take a look at the VTBook, this is a fairly recent card with better performance than either the Appian or Margi cards.

I have a review of the card here.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
taku   2004-06-25 01:49
Hi,Mark.I have two Margi PCMICA cards"DISPLAY TO GO 4MB".
They are working fine with win98se,win2000,win xp.
I am runnning 4 monitors with using the two cards.

If you are running win2000 sp3 or sp4,this may
solve your problem with a Margi PCMICA card.

http://www.margi.com/support/sup_dtg_sd.htm

Unknown PCI.sys Patch - Windows 2000 SP3/SP4
If you have installed Service Pack 3 for Windows 2000, and get an unknown PCI.sys error, please download and install this patch. PLEASE READ INSTRUCTIONS BELOW.
efexuk   2004-06-25 17:23
I'm using a VTBook PCMCIA card which works quite well and is reasonably priced at around $250

http://www.villagetronic.com/

Some applications display better than others, charting software tends to be a bit erratic.

Pete
Eric Stanicki   2004-07-02 06:02
taku 2004-06-25 07:49
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,Mark.I have two Margi PCMICA cards"DISPLAY TO GO 4MB".
They are working fine with win98se,win2000,win xp.
I am runnning 4 monitors with using the two cards.

how are you able to run more than one monitor off of a single card?
also is there a way to use my laptops vga output as extra desktop space
taku   2004-07-03 00:38
Hi,Eric Stanicki

The Primary monitor is my laptop LCD.
The 2nd monitor is connected to the laptop's vga output.
The 3rd and the 4th monitor are connected to the margi.

I am totally runnning 4 monitors with using the two cards.

I suggest that you see the display settings whether you can enable the 2nd monitor.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/guide/
Eric Stanicki   2004-07-03 08:06
ok another question i have determined that my video card can support dual monitor output for my laptop.....is there any special software or any different drivers that i need to download to get it to work? or can i just plug it in and hope for the best =)
Eric Stanicki   2004-07-03 09:47
nevermind i figured it out sweet.
ECarlson   2004-07-04 04:14
Eric Stanicki:

Please share with us what laptop and OS you have, and what you did (if anything) to get it to work. You might also want to add your system to the database (and that also goes for anyone who hasn't added their system to the database yet).

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Laptops and PCMCIA Dual Monitors