Forums -> Multiple monitors -> multiple monitors wi photoshop
David J   2004-07-06 02:00
I want to use two monitors with photoshop, one for image nd one for tools. OS is windowsXp Home. I am told windows Xp home does not support multiple monitors. Is there a way around this? Is this true if the video card has dual outputs?

2nd question: Do the two monitors have to match in resolution & display size?

David J
Christian Studer   2004-07-06 02:17
XP Home does support multiple monitors, it's the same as Pro in this regard.

The monitors don't need to use the same resolution, for example you could run the primary monitor at 1280x1024 and the secondary monitor for tools at 1024x768.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
David J   2004-07-06 02:43
Thanks for the reply Christian. Now I have a third question. I have been looking at dual output video cards. Some have a combination of 1 analog and 1 digital. I'm not sure if these are truly dual output or merely set up to supply one or the other but not both. My second monitor is a LCD, the first a CRT. I understand that it is best to use the digital output with the LCD. Will the combo card be the best choice for use with these two monitors?

David J
Christian Studer   2004-07-06 03:59
As far as I know all recent video cards with dual outputs support running 2 monitors at the same time, some older video cards, for example the GeForce3, didn't though.

If the LCD supports DVI, connecting it via DVI would be the preferred option. If it is analog only, you could use a DVI-to-VGA adapter to connect it to the video card's DVI port.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> multiple monitors wi photoshop