Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Moving mouse between monitors across non-screen area
Dave Maks   2004-07-09 04:05
I'm getting increasingly annoyed with my mouse these days - it seems its never where i want it! Mad

The problem seems to be this.

My natural movement between monitors is via the red line, but ofcourse you have to take the green route.

There must be some program that can interpret where i've placed my mouse, and move it onto the other monitor corectly. I can understand the mouse stopping at the monitor edge, but you'd think if it detected it was no on the other monitor, it could jump...

The second problem i have is i lose the cursor. Dude I have 3328*1024px to lose somehting thats what less than 10px wide. Now i know i can set it up so i get those rings appear - but i want something i can activate from say my middle mouse button, and also something thats not white - since unless i have my dektop shoping, much of the screen is already white or light grey.

Any ideas? I'm currently running UltraMon, which i love - maybe these features could be added
Dave Maks   2004-07-09 04:05
Sorry my link got lost www.dave-marks.co.uk/digiguide/damm-mouse.jpg
Christian Studer   2004-07-09 08:30
The mouse feature you mentioned will be considered for UltraMon 3.

Regarding the cursor: UltraMon doesn't have a feature for highlighting the cursor, but there's a hotkey to center the cursor on the primary monitor (under UltraMon Options > Hotkeys).

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Emby   2004-07-09 23:46
When i first got my second monitor and i wasn't used to both the monitors I found in Control Panel > Mous e. Click on the "Pointer Options" tab, move down the "Visibility" section and check the checkbox "Show location of pointer when I press the CTRL key", whenever you click the CTRL button in explorer, a big circle is displayed around the mouse. If you play games I think that it screws up the games. I hope this helps
ECarlson   2004-07-10 02:44
Emby:

I was going to suggest the same, but I looked for those options last night, but couldn't find them. What OS and mouse driver are you using?

I also installed the IntelliPoint 5 drivers for my MS mouse, but I still didn't see the mouse visibility options (maybe I missed them). I had to remove the Intellipoint drivers though, because they killed my middle mouse button functionality in Mozilla. The Intellipoint driver lets you set what the middle mouse button does, but they left out "Middle Click", which is what it is supposed to be.

I'm using Win2K.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
ECarlson   2004-07-10 02:55
Okay. By searching Google, I found the fix for the middle mouse button problem in IntelliPoint 5: Set the middle mouse button to "AutoScroll". It now works properly, as a middle-click, in Mozilla when using IntelliPoint 5.

I still don't see any cursor visibility options. Where did they go?

Dave Maks   2004-07-15 07:01
"The mouse feature you mentioned will be considered for UltraMon 3."

Thanks, thats great news, I hope its possible and makes the release.

I've set up the hotkey, hopefully that will help.
I've used the ctrl thingy in windows before, but never found it much use - the circles are two small when you have 3 screens to think about.

Anyhow, i have enabled the ctrl thing, the hotkey, selected a bigger default arrow, and enabled mouse trails.

Hopefully this will help a little.

Thanks guys
boxface (Emby)   2004-07-15 22:05
ECarlson:

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP2, I'll show you a screenie of what im talking about:

Mouse Control Panel (sorry for poor image quality - paint is horrible)

It may be that Windows 2k doesnt have it, ive gone from xp to 2k b4 and i cant stand it! i have to have xp :)

Im using the default microsoft drivers that windows loaded for me: its so handy!
ECarlson   2004-07-16 12:08
Thanks. I have XP at work. I'll have to check the mouse options there. I don't notice much difference between 2K and XP, but maybe it's because I turned off all the annoying visual "features" in XP.

SeT   2004-07-29 04:34
I wanted a non-hotkey way to move the mouse from monitor to monitor as well.

I _was_ using MS Intellipoint drivers for my mouse, but on a whim, tried installing the Kensington Mouseworks drivers.

They work perfectly fine for my mouse, plus have chording features (simultaneous button presses).

So, I just set up an Ultramon hotkey for "center mouse on next monitor", then set up the mouse driver to emulate that hotkey whenever both left and right buttons are pressed. Works like a charm. And as far as finding where your cursor is, you just have to double click both buttons simultaneously and the mouse cursor will center on whatever monitor it happens to be on at the time.
ECarlson   2004-07-29 12:54
Sounds like you found a good solution.

Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Moving mouse between monitors across non-screen area