Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Combining AGP Dual-Head and PCI Graphic Card
Udo Weik   2004-08-05 08:47
Hello,

I want to connect three TFTs with my PC. At the moment, I'm using one
AGP Dual-Head Graphic Card from Matrox. My idea is now to add an additional
PCI Graphic Card (from Matrox?). I'm using WIN XP pro., but is it possible
to configure these Grafic Cards as a real "Triple-View" (e. g. different resolutions) Display?
I don't want to buy an expensive Triple-Head Parhelia - but maybe there
are alternatives (only 2D working machine, no games...)

Any experiences/hints?

Thanks in advance.
Udo
Tantalus   2004-08-05 12:32
i've set up many a system using matrox agp and pci cards together as well as matrox vga with a different vendor pci card. never had a problem.

as for 'triple-head'...it depends on how you define triple-head. be advised that the parhelia will allow you to run 3 displays but ONLY in stretched mode, ie. all three displays act together as *one* stretched desktop which spans across all the displays. this of course means you must run the same resolution across all three as well.

now you are interested in just running 3 independent displays, steer clear of the parhelia. any good agp dual-head card combined with an additional pci card will allow a tri-display setup, each with their own resolution.
Tantalus   2004-08-05 12:33
correction to the above:

...well as a matrox AGP card with a different vendor pci card. never had a problem.
Udo Weik   2004-08-11 18:46
Hello Tantalus and the community,

thanks for your hints. As a first test, I have installed my really old ATI 3D RAGEII PCI graphic
card. Works as expected, I'm really happy. Never thought that it is so easy. The only problem I
have now is that my PC can't switch to Standby-mode. I get an error message like (translated):

The device driver for the device "ATI Technologies Inc. 3D RAGE II PCI" prevents switching
to the standby-mode. Close all applications and try again. When the problem still exists,
possibly the driver must be updated.

Unfortuantely it is not possible to get any other driver for that card than the standard XP-
driver. Any hints?

Then I'm looking for a newer and not so expensive PCI graphic card with VIVO (Video in and
Video out, that means Composite and S-Video). Any ideas?

Thanks a lot for all your help.
Udo
sunnyc123abc   2004-08-28 16:02
hey udo weik

where did u get the drivers for teh Rage II....iv been looking for the drivers for that for windows xp and can't find it....i want to use dual monitors as well...please help me out. thanxs
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Combining AGP Dual-Head and PCI Graphic Card