Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Problems with PCI Video Card with XP.
Adam James   2004-08-27 20:52
G'day All,

Could some one please help me on this, as I have tried everything.

I have a Nvidia TNT64 32Mb AGP.
I have a S3Trio 4Mb PCI.

The only way I can get my 2nd monitor to work is to set the PCI prority in BIOS. With doing this both monitors work as normal.

The problem is that when I go to fun Flight Simulator 2004, It won't give me any 3d settings/options because the S3 Trio card is reading default. I'm back to getting around 1-2 fps.

If I don't use the second monitor and have the TNT as the default, FS2004 gives me around 30-35 fps.

When I try to set the S3Trio in properties, is says there's an error 10 (This device can not start )

Has anyone had this problem ??
And is there a way I can run the addition PCI card with out my computer using it as a primary graphics card ??

I'm running Window XP Pro,
Intel Pentium III - 800
512 Mb RAM

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanking you in advance

Adam
ECarlson   2004-08-28 04:44
After you boot with the PCI as primary in BIOS, you can tell Windows to use the AGP as primary. Windows doesn't really care which is primary in BIOS. Please let us know if that helps.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Adam James   2004-08-28 12:38
Thanks Eric

I have both monitors running at the moment, But unfortunatley when I go into Flight Simulator 2004 or 2002, I can't get any custom display settings.

I have gone to Display Settings in Control Panel and have set the Primary Display to TNT64, but this only changes the Monitors etc.
Is there a different setting I should be using ??

Any help would be mostly appreciated.

Thnaking you

Adam
ECarlson   2004-08-29 12:32
Nope. That's the only setting I know of. Sounds like you need to get rid of the old S3 card. You might consider replacing the AGP card with a new AGP card, most of which have dual outputs these days. You can get a decent dual-out AGP card for under $100.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Pine   2004-08-30 20:18
i use the same PCI card as you, and i agree with te last post, grab a new agp card. i've had no problems with mine, and i use a relativly old geforce4 ti4400 128meg. however, it is possible that flight sim is to blame. have you tinkered in the gonfig files yet? if not, i suggest asking for tech support from microsoft on this issue.

every now and then a game comes along which tries to run on the default card in bios (for some strange reason). there is ALWAYS a way to force it to run on the display/card of your choice.

good luck
Pine   2004-08-30 20:19
EDIT: config files ;)
Pine   2004-08-30 20:25
oh, one more thing, i've noticed that if there is an application running on the S3 card while any game is running, there will be serious slow down. this is due to the S3 constantly accessing memory and such. having things like taskbars, system info boxes etc running on the S3 will definantly slow down games.

if you havn't tried already, knock out all programs running on the S3 befor gaming.

oh, and getting a dual head agp card and keeping the S3 is a good idea, having thee monitors is bliss ;)
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Problems with PCI Video Card with XP.