Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Recommend secondary PCI graphics card?
Michael Desmond   2001-04-11 00:55
I've set up a Win2K dual-monitor box, based on an Athlon CPU and Asus A7M266 motherboard. I think I'm close to a decision, but need some expertise.

The direct question: Does anyone know if PCI-based GeForceMX cards will work when set as the secondary display in the BIOS? My old ATI Rage LT Pro doesn't seem to, so I'm considering a replacement. Any recommendations? By the way, that GeForce MX needs to support DVI or DFP out for my Viewsonic VPD150 flat panel monitor!

For those itching for detail, here's the whole skinny...

My AGP-based ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon card can only display TV video if it's the primary graphics card at bootup (a bios setting item). But if I switch the primary video source from the default PCI card (an old ATI Rage LT Pro) to the AGP card, the PCI based display goes dark. It seems like the LT Pro card simply isn't supported as a secondary card under Win2K (as described here: http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/faq.asp#SecondaryW2K)

I'm close to purchasing a newer, value oriented GeForceMX based card for that PCI slot. My hope: That it will be able to run as the secondary display from the BIOS. Then, my ATI AIW card will be primary, and will be able to display TV out and have both cards running in harmony.

Complicating matters is the fact that this PCI card needs to support DVI or DFP out, since it will drive a digital flat panel monitor.

Thoughts?

"220, 221... whatever it takes."
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Recommend secondary PCI graphics card?