Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multi monitor fry graphic card???
Garratt   2004-09-18 06:02
So i've had my Sapphire Radeon 9800XT for about ½ year now running with 2 monitors attached without any problems.
Couple of weeks ago i switched one monitor to another pc for a while. Meanwhile i tried to hook the card up to my tv set for the first time ever and saw a lot of simpsons for a night :) without any problems.
Next day i attached the second monitor again and detached the tvset and BANG!!! all of the sudddenly i can get no display on my second monitor OR the tv set.
The main monitor attached works fine but i can no longer attach a second monitor or tvset and get a display.
Tried to change drivers (8 versions of the cataclyst drivers) , reinstall the entire system and change monitors around but nothing. Both monitor works fine on the main display but there's nothing on the secondary :(.
Tried just about every option in the display / adv. display settings and in the cataclyst driver without any results.
In the display settings its unable to active/ detect the other monitor. When I active the other monitor the settings wait a second and then simply gray out the monitor again.

Has anybody had the same experience and know what to do or does anybody has any idea of what i've done wrong?
Any helpfull comment would be VERY appreciated.

"Sneaksie manfool.."
-- Garratt
jeroen   2004-09-19 23:20
Did you turn off both your computer and the devices you were connecting to your computer?
If you don't do that, it's possible that the signal pins make a connection with each other before the mass pins do. It's possible for devices to have a voltage difference of about 115 Volts on the pins if you don't connect the masses and a lot of circuitry can't handle this. Always be sure to completely turn off both devices, or make sure you first connect the mass and later the signal.

tulip plugs are especially sensative for this kind of damage because by the nature of the connector, the signal pin is connected before the mass connection is made..
Garratt   2004-09-20 00:06
I'm not sure of what i actually did anymore but it is quite possible that i didn't turn both off as you say.
I could see no burned Condensators of other components on the card afterwards but that doesent mean that i didn't burn it. Fortuatnly the main monitor output still works without any problems. Think im gonna by a temporary solution with a ATI Radeon 7000 PCI card.
Thx for your post I needed someone to confirm that I proberly had burned it since it has never happende to me before.

"Sneaksie manfool.."
-- Garratt
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multi monitor fry graphic card???