Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Connecting an additional monitor to USB port on laptop.
Ulysses   2004-10-16 13:20
I recently purchased a new product so that I could easily add a monitor to my laptop setup. It works fine and is called the SEE2, available from Tritton Technologies). It is a SVGA to USB 2.0 adapter. To install it you simply install the drivers first, then connect the monitor signal cable to the SEE2 and the USB connector of the SEE2 to your USB port and turn on the PC.

My system is a Toshiba laptop running XP Media Center Edition with one SVGA port to which I've connected LCD monitor #1, and with LCD monitor #2 connected to the laptop via the SEE2 connected to the USB port on the laptop. Thus three displays.

It cost me $85 at Unity Electronics.com Unity Electronics
, and they shipped it promptly.

The only "problem" I've had with it is that the resolution is limited to 1024 x 768 @ 16-bit color max, but this is fine for my setup. That limitation will probably be fixed with a later version. I haven't tested it with anything exotic, or with games, but it is fine for multiple applications.

P.S. Another useful, but minor, thing I just found is a shareware program, IconSaver v. 2.2, which saves my desktop icons in the order I want them so XP can't mix them up (or so with a mouse click they can be restored to the way I had them if XP does rearrange them).

It is $5 at Icon Saver, and works simply and reliably.
ECarlson   2004-10-17 12:07
Thanks for the USB video info.

FYI: There are also some free (and some more expensive) icon saver apps.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Connecting an additional monitor to USB port on laptop.