Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Second Video Card not Recognized
Norman Hajian   2004-11-08 05:58
I'm trying to install a second video card in my computer. The first is an integrated card (SiS 630/730). The second is an old PCI card (ATI mach64 GX PCI).

I can't seem to get Win XP to recognize the second card. Actually, it recognizes it, but says "this device isn't using any resources because it has a problem". Yet, when I boot the same computer in Win 98, the computer has no trouble with the two cards. Any suggestions?
Seahorse   2004-11-08 11:19
I'm sure I've read onboard cards don't work with add-on. Not 100% positive though. You could try using an OS from this Millenium though...

--
Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish.Com Deep sea Daddies...
ECarlson   2004-11-08 13:43
You'll either need a PCI card that doesn't need to be primary in BIOS (NVidia, and maybe some others), or a dual-out PCI card (or AGP if you have an AGP slot).

I have that same onboard video, and it worked with an NVidia PCI card, but my particular NVidia card caused occasional Win2K freezes, even when the onboard card was disabled, so I am back to the onboard-only for now. I wish my current motherboard had an AGP slot because I have a nice AGP NVidia card with dual outs.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Second Video Card not Recognized