Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multi-monitor using laptop
Peter   2004-11-09 19:12
Hi there

I'm having problems using my laptop-monitor as a second monitor. I can stretch the desktop, so that i covers both monitors, but what i really want is for it to function as a monitor itself (where I can run for example Outlook, while surfing or working on the other monitor).

I found the following on this site: Due to a limitation in Windows 2000, dualhead cards that use a single chipset to drive both monitors require special workarounds in the driver to be properly recognized by the system. If these workarounds are not implemented, Windows 2000 sees a single large monitor instead of two.

This causes the following problems:

- using different resolutions for each monitor is not possible
- windows are maximized to the desktop instead of the monitor they are on, and dialog boxes appear centered on the desktop, split across monitors. Software included with the card may be used to work around these problems though
- taskbar is extended across both monitors instead of only a single one
- multi-monitor software will not work properly.

This describes my problem perfectly, but what is the workaround mentioned..?

I'm using a IBM T41 with a Radeon Mobility 7500 video card. The external monitor is connected to a dockingstation/portreplicator.

Anyone?

Regards

Peter
Francis Molloy   2004-11-15 07:04
Has anyone redponded to this question, I'm having the exact same problem

Regards
Skizo   2004-11-28 09:28
Peter, what kind of video card are you using?
Are you using WinXP?

You want the laptop as a second monitor and another monitor connected to the laptop as the primary? Or do you want to use the laptop as a secondary monitor for your pc?

Please tell us what you have tried. I'm assuming that you've gone to the 'desktop properties' > 'settings' and ticked "Extend my Windows desktop to this monitor", and the other required settings...

Skizo
rschaaf   2004-11-28 18:06
Windows 2000 will not support extending the desktop to a second monitor on the T41 (or any other laptop), but Windows XP will do it just fine. Windows 98 supports it as well.

You should switch to Windows XP. You can get more help on this at thinkpads.com forum.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Multi-monitor using laptop