Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Can the taskbar be spread across both (or all) monitors?
MLong   2001-04-21 18:33
I'm pretty sure there isn't any way to have the Windows taskbar span both of my monitors without the use of other software, so can anyone tell me of a program that might allow me to do this?

ANY help is welcomed... I really could use this feature.

Matt Long
Christian Studer   2001-04-24 10:52
I'm planning a similar feature for UltraMon 2, should be in beta 4 or 5. Instead of a single large taskbar, you'll be able to have additional taskbars, each one showing only the tasks running on the monitor the taskbar is on.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Chris Bennight   2001-04-25 05:23

Thank you! I would bay 30 bucks for that feature alone!

Chris Bennight
Brian Ricks   2001-04-25 14:25
Awesome! That's one feature which would really be awesome.

-Brian
Cyberwizzard   2001-05-26 03:10
Sounds nice but how are you planning to implant that? If I'm correct you should write your own taskbar that constantly checkes the window positions, and that creates a lot of extra processing...
Christian Studer   2001-05-26 03:39
I guess I'm going to install a hook to be notified of window movement, this should add very little overhead. I also won't replace the taskbar, just add additional desktop toolbars.

But we'll have to see how it works out, so far I haven't done any tests.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Norman Brooks   2001-05-26 14:42
The ATI Radeon VE in W2K runs the taskbar across both monitors by default. Of course, if the toolbar is 25 or 30inches across you can just add and add toolbars !

nbrooks@accesscable.net
Kristian   2001-06-03 01:13
Regarding the Radeon VE: That is the default behavior for Windows 2000 when using a single dual display video adapter. You are probably also limited to having both displays at the same resolution. Windows 2000 handles a card similar to this as though both monitors were one, and outputs a display through both video ports as such.

I have a Geforce2 MX with twinview with the same situation. The advantage to what Christian is working on is that each desktop's toolbar will (hopefully) only contain applications that are on that desktop, thus making multitasking easier since you can quickly see which app is on which desktop.
Norman Brooks   2001-06-03 02:32
There seems to be some confusion about the desktop on the Radeon VE and the toolbar.
I have taken a snapshot of my desktop and posted it here:

www.normbrooks.com/desktop.html

It is rather large but you can see that the toolbar spans both monitors but none of the information is repeated. There are four toolbars active on the one line: Address, Links, Desktop and Quicklaunch. This is the way to go .....

nbrooks@accesscable.net
Christian Studer   2001-06-03 02:58
As Kristian said, the idea for UltraMon is to have one taskbar for each monitor, with each taskbar showing ONLY the tasks running on that monitor.

This has the advantage that you always know on which monitor a window will open after activating it from the taskbar. This becomes especially useful if you have lots of windows on more than 2 monitors.

Myself, I have frequently 30 or more windows open on 3 monitors, and searching for a newly activated window can be really annoying.

Christian Studer
www.realtimesoft.com
Norman Brooks   2001-06-03 14:01
Ref the picture of my desktop.
Notice the FIVE controls on the Title Bar of each application. The box with the hash marks on it activates "snap to" ... the small down arrow opens up to a menu that allows selecting which monitor the application will open on, whether full screen or windowed and whether the app is to remember where to open the next time it opens.

The Radeon VE is not perfect yet, but I firmly believe, in W2K at least, it is by far the best dual head card out there.

nbrooks@accesscable.net
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Can the taskbar be spread across both (or all) monitors?