Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Advice on new video card setup (currently using Matrox)
khariv   2004-11-30 13:14
I am looking at potentially replacing one of my setups to get better 3d game performance. I would like some input on whether people have worked with the combinations before.

I currently have two triple monitor setups.

Home PC is
Matrox Parhelia
Matrox G450 PCI
Running 19" LCDs (2xDVI, 1xAnalog)

This setup works just fine, if slow on 3d. I never have any problems at all. I ended up going with a separate PCI card because the Parhelia could not handle independent mode on 3 monitors.

Now, on my work PC, Ive got the following setup:
ATI 9800 Pro (AGP)
ATI 9200 (PCI)
Running 3 21" LCDs (1 DVI, 2x analog - see below)

This combination is a lot faster for 3d, but it was a nightmare to setup and Im not entirely sure that it doesnt cause my work PC to reboot regularly. Part of the nightmare was in that if I plug the third monitor into the DVI port on the 9200, the PC will boot to XP, but when I go to enable the 3rd monitor, the PC reboots when I hit OK. It works fine plugged into the analog port.

Anyway, I want to upgrade my home video, but I do NOT really want to go with an ATI solution, for the above reasons.

I am thinking about getting a NVidia 6600 GT AGP and a NVidia 5700 PCI card. Does anyone have experience with running these together? Will there be problems running my flat panels at 12x10 resolution on the DVI port? (I know some DVI implementations cant handle this, but I would think that these cards could, since they're new).

Any suggestions?

thanks
khariV
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Advice on new video card setup (currently using Matrox)