Forums -> Multiple monitors -> New to multi monitor setup
Jay   2004-12-05 01:59
Hello,
I have an old computer, and was wondering if it's possivle to canabilize it to set up a dual monitor system.

My main computer has a Riva 128 PCI bus 1 w/8 megs on a 21" NEC monitor, running at 600X800.

I have an old POS compact computer (not sure of the card yet). Is it possible to install that card into my main computer, as well as the Riva 128, or do I need to buy a new dual head video card?

Thanks Alot
Jay   2004-12-05 02:01
Running XP
Jay   2004-12-05 02:08
Sorry, More info.

I actually want to be able to move things from one monitor to another, not just split the output. You probably already knew that.
Thanks again
ECarlson   2004-12-05 03:22
Yes, it might work, but only if one of the cards is okay with NOT being the primary card. Many old cards like to be primary in BIOS, and obviously only one can. (see lots of earlier threads on the subject).

For under $100 (sometimes under $50) you can get a dual-out AGP card (if your computer has an AGP slot). You can also get dual-out PCI cards, but they are less common.

If you don't mind me asking: Why are you running such a low-res on the 21" monitor?

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Jay   2004-12-05 03:48
How can I tell if I have an open "APG" slot.

Device manager says I have an Intel 82443BX Pentium II to AGP Controller

Sorry to sound like such a dumb*ss

As far as the res, anything higher makes the screen too small.
ECarlson   2004-12-05 08:35
Open up the computer and look.

This week, for $40 after rebate, CompUSA has the Xtasy 9200 SE 128.Meg Video Card, PCI or AGP, which has dual outputs. So if your 2 cards don't work together, replace them with one of those. If you do have AGP, then get the AGP version, otherwise, get the PCI version.

Jay   2004-12-05 10:03
thanks,
inside the computer, I have 1 open PCI Slot
ECarlson   2004-12-06 13:41
Okay, if the extra card is PCI, plug it in (with the power off, of coures) and see if it works (with the power on, of course). If not, try swapping the 2 cards, and see if that works, if not, get a new card.

Forums -> Multiple monitors -> New to multi monitor setup