Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Sorry for Such a Basic Question, but...
BWBayQuest   2004-12-07 09:47
I am new to this concept and need to be sure I understand it completely.

What seems to be the case after a LOT of reading is that for multiple monitors on a single video card (ignoring use of laptop screen as one of the monitors), you need multiple outputs - 2 or more VGA's or 1 VGA + 1 DVI.

I know this is a VERY basic question, but I've got a Dell laptop with an ATI card that suports dual, but with only a single VGA output - cannot utilize the dual functionality.

I've also got HP/Compaq Evo d330 minitowers with the nVidia GeForce4 MX 440, which BOTH HP and nVidia described as dual-supporting BEFORE I purchased the PC. However, there is only a single VGA output and a single S-Video output, so it would appear that it is not dual CRT or LCD capable.

Lastly, I have several HP XW4000 workstations with nVidia Quadro's, which have a single DVI output with a DVI-to-dual VGA splitter cable which supports dual wonderfully. However, that neat trick of splitting has added to my current confusion - the single output on these led me to believe the single outputs elsewhere were not a problem, which now appears incorrect.

Thanks for any enlightenment!
ECarlson   2004-12-07 11:17
Sounds like you've got it all figured out.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Kyle   2004-12-07 11:18
Only certain DVI ports are dual vga compatible. The laptop ordeal, have you tried going into your advanced video properties for the ATI card and looked for I think its called Hydravision. That is the feature for ATI cards that you use to configure multiple monitors. This would allow you to set your laptop monitor as you primary and a CRT as your secondary monitor.

I previously owned a Nvidia MX 420 which had the same connections as your card, and yes it does support multiple monitor but the second monitor has to be a tv supporting RCA or S-video input. That is what I did when I just had 2 monitors (LCD, TV) It worked great.

www.beyondthefield.ssbm.org
BWBayQuest   2004-12-08 01:16
While I have not tried it, from what I've read on the laptop, I could easily set it up for dual using the ATI software if I use the laptop LCD as one of the two. What I want to do though is dual external LCD's so that both are same size. I could do this if Dell had bothered to add a 2nd output on it's port replicator.

Also, I've rec'd a response from HP on my desktop issue - it's dual capable IF you have the right video card (I do not because they made that clear as mud in the sales process). So now I'm going to fight with them and try to get them to exchange the card I have for a card supporting dual.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Sorry for Such a Basic Question, but...