Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Second adapter 'cannot start' :(
Nebben   2004-12-15 17:02
I'm using a Geforce2MX 400 AGP as my main card, and I threw in an old ATI Mach64 PCI and connected an old monitor to it. I can't get more than one monitor to work at once :(

I've tried setting the primary to PCI in my BIOS, and the result is the OTHER card and monitor work fine, but I can't get both working. Either way, one of them says "Device cannot start" in device manager.

Is this just the result of both of my cards sucking and not supporting dual-monitors or is there some workaround?

Thanks. :)
Seahorse   2004-12-16 02:44
If you are running under WinXP then the AGP might as well be the one your machine boots from in the BIOS as WInXP happily detects the second PCI by itself.

Asusming BOTH cads are nVidia based, you only need one install of the Forceware drivers.

I suggest shutting down the PC & removing second card. Boot, uninstall forceware drivers, and shut down.

Put the PCI card back in. Reboot. Install Forceware 77.20. Follow the prompts...

---
Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish.Com - Deep sea Daddies...
Nebben   2004-12-16 04:55
Running XP.

The ATI card isn't Nvidia based. It detects fine in XP as the secondary, but it won't start. The drivers for both are the newest.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Second adapter 'cannot start' :(