Forums -> Multiple monitors -> X800 + 9200 pci = Trouble!
Nameless One   2004-12-20 07:02
I wanted to use my old 17" CRT on a pci card, while having my primary 19" CRT and TV on my x800vivo card.
So I bought a Radeon 9200se pci card.

The main problem seems to be that windows sets whatever is connected to the 9200 as monitor 1. Even if it's the TV, and I've tried plugging the monitors in DVI port with adapter.. same thing happens.
"Boot agp first" is enabled and the 17" is dead until I arrive in windows, then it takes control.Even if I select my 19" as primary in windows/ultramon, it won't hold.

My 19" is reported as monitor 3, while my TV is monitor 4. (that's when the non-existant monitor 2 isn't connected to 9200, if I disable that one, the numbers for my x800 displays jump down to 2 and 3 respectively)

The original 4.12 drivers can't even install my x800 now, with or without CCC. So I'm using Omega based on 4.12 drivers. At least I get the cards up and going then.

Is there a way to force the pci card to become the "slave"?
I think everything will work out once my 19" is nr1, TV nr2 and 17" nr3.

Desperately seeking help.

Win2k
Sapphire x800vivo
Sapphire 9200se
Nameless One   2004-12-20 07:30
And yeah, I tried without the TV connected at all.
Still the PCI card takes control..
Nameless One   2004-12-20 07:44
I don't mean to spam, but there's not edit option available..

Anyway, I tried setting "boot PCI first" in bios, and the same thing happened, except only the 17" showed the boot-up.

Although I haven't tried installing the drivers with that setting set to PCI.

Once again, I hope for any kind of help.
Tantalus   2004-12-21 00:06
not much more to suggest other than trying a different pci video card.

i would also point out that when (dualhead) agp and pci cards are installed and agp is primary, that display #2 is usually set to pci output. thus in your case, your TV would become #3 (assuming you can you find an alternate card that works).
Nameless One   2004-12-21 02:50
Changing card would of course be a lot of trouble, maybe I can trade it.. if not I have wasted my money..

I'm going to try installing Winxp with "init pci first" selected. Maybe it works in Winxp, I've been planning to install it so I can dual-boot anyway.
Nameless One   2004-12-21 03:34
Changing card would of course be a lot of trouble, maybe I can trade it.. if not I have wasted my money..

I'm going to try installing Winxp with "init pci first" selected. Maybe it works in Winxp, I've been planning to install it so I can dual-boot anyway.
Nameless One   2004-12-21 06:50
Sorry for double post.

But, it worked!
Not the "init pci first" or Winxp install.
I just tried enabling the 17" in Win2k again, the driver was installed but I was only running my dual ultramon profile. And it worked like a charm.

But I suspect it has something to do with one bios setting I enabled before trying.. "PCI/VGA pallette snoop"
Could that be the reason?
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> X800 + 9200 pci = Trouble!