Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 5900xt and MX4000 triple set up
Goon   2004-12-28 08:51
Hi all,
Have been running an MSI 5900xt for a year now, with two monitors. One off the VGA and one off the DV output. I pluged in a GeForce MX4000 PCI card today, to try to go up to three monitors, but I'm struggling.
I have updated to latest drivers, and tried PCI and VGA as the primary boot devices, but I'm either getting failed boots (no log in screen) or blue screens (infinite loop errors) when applying 'extend my monitor blahblah'
MSI motherboard is updated to latest BIOS by live update.

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers,
Gareth Evans
ECarlson   2004-12-28 14:39
I assume you've already tried a different PCI slot for the PCI card.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Goon   2004-12-28 23:11
Thanks for the reply. I have tried it in all available PCI slots. Sometimes the machine allows me to extend the desktop, but slows to an absolute crawl for some reason. (Third monitor never initialises though) Other times it 'infinite loops' immediately.
The PCI card is seen by the PV fine, and drivers can be installed, swapped, etc, to my hearts content. I just get over that last step!
Goon   2004-12-29 07:41
I give up, two days of work on this, and I can't get it going. Windows isn't even seeing the PCI card correctly a lot of the time, and reports 128Mb RAM (the memory of the 5900) and when I update the driver for one, it seems to update for both. Seems Windows isn't differentiating correctly.
I would have thought two modern cards like this and XP would have been a snip....
ECarlson   2004-12-29 10:51
They use the same driver set, so that is correct that whenever you update one drive you are updating the other driver too.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Goon   2004-12-29 21:26
OK, but the info reported for MX4000 still reads 128Mb.
Still can't get the damn thing going, but thatnks for your replies.

Gareth Evans
Seahorse   2004-12-30 23:22
Download current 'official' nVidia drivers - 66.93 as of today.

Unistall all graphics drivers.

Reboot.

In BIOS set AGP primary (WinXP/XP64) or PCI if 98/ME/.

Reboot

Cancel any 'New ahrdware detected dialogues.

Instal Forceware 66.93s - ONCE - it runs both cards.

Follow steps in nView Wizard.

If the nView wizard fails to run and you are looking at one monitor:

Right click desktop, properties, settings, advanced, GForce tab, nView settings on pop out menu, select Dual view (for monitors hanging off primary card - I'm guessing 2).

Close this.

Back to Settings click on each monitor individually and set up resolution and refresh rates as appropriate.

--
Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish.Com Deep sea Daddies...
Goon   2005-01-01 01:57
Thank you for your reply Mike. I haven't had time to try it yet. I will let you know how I go one.

Gareth Evans
Goon   2005-01-02 23:37
Unfortunately I'm getting the same result. As soon as I click 'Extend my windows desktop' the machine becomes unresponsive, and eventually blue screens.
Seahorse   2005-01-03 01:59
The only other suggestion I have BEFORE taking the format option is to run Driver Cleaner and do one final install of the 66.93s. If all the accrued crud is removed you may still get it running.

Presume you are running WinXP. Where was the last time you formatted C: If this date is in excess of 3 months or you have any other niggles on the system I would suggest backing up and formatting C: as the fool-proof option.

On top tip based on a recent mishap - if you have more than on HD, back the files onto 1 - disconnect it. Only then format & install.

The BIOS in my PC switched from booting the SATA RAID to my back IDE HD (co-incidentally the same size as the primary partition) and redesignated E: as C: while formatting. One format & install of WinXP and I had FUBAR'd all my data. Did recover some 26,000 files, and a manual trawl through those was not a huge amount of fun...

--
Rgds
Mike
Dead-Fish.Com Deep sea Daddies...
FlyDye   2005-01-18 01:07
I'm having the same problem with a new build of Windows XP and Windows 2000 (I tried both). I was trying to setup a multi-monitor workstation to show server status. As soon as I attempt to extend my monitor to the second card it hangs and then Blue Screens.

Chaintech - GeForce MX4000 on a Dell GX150

Bob
Liam   2005-02-06 17:19
Looks like we're all in the same boat. I am adding a third monitor to my setup, have a Gforce 4200ti AGP and bought a Gforce MX4000 PCI to run the third monitor. I get the same thing. As soon as I hit extend desktop to this monitor it freezes and keeps rebooting until I go to safe mode and remove the drivers and the card. I have heard of other people using a pci card from a different manufacturer like Matrox or ATi and I may have to try that

Liam
Tantalus   2005-02-07 00:45
from reading this thread, there appears to be an issue with the mx4000. if you can't get the mx card working, most any pci card should work.

perhaps in your case, i would opt for an non-nvidia one (obviously, you'd lose any nview features on that display). i've used pci add-in cards from matrox, ati, etc...even a cheapie from s3 graphics and did not have any problems.
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 5900xt and MX4000 triple set up