Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual DVI video card for two Samsung TFTs???
Jacob   2004-12-30 08:11
Hi,
I have recently bot a Samsung 710T and use it in a dual monitor setup using a 5 year old 19” Sony CRT on my ATI AIW 9600 pro. Works very well indeed.

However, as I consider adding another Samsung to the mix, ie having a 3 monitors connected to one pc. I am looking for a dual DVI video card to insert into a PCI slot alongside my ATI 9600 pro using up the AGP port. The reason for the dual DVI is to maximize picture quality as both TFT’s would get a DVI signal.

I have searched intensively for a PCI with dual DVI – can only find cards with one DVI and one VGA port.

Does anyone know of any such cards?

I assume the picture quality of a DVI signal should be better than the VGA signal but can you really tell a difference?

Help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jacob

Jacob
ECarlson   2004-12-30 09:06
There are such cards, but the only one I currently see at NewEgg is $600. It would be a lot cheaper to buy two PCI cards with single DVI connectors, or use the DVI connector on the AGP card for one of the monitors, and use a single-DVI PCI card for the third monitor.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
ECarlson   2004-12-30 14:56
PS: I've heard that the TV functions of the AIW cards don't work when there are other video cards in the system, so if you want the TV functions, you'll also need a separate PCI TV card.

One option is to buy a dual-DVI AGP card, and get a regular VGA+DVI PCI card, that way you have 3 DVI ports (which can also do VGA) plus one VGA port. And get a good separate PCI TV card. With all that, you'd still be well under the $600 cost of the Dual-DVI PCI card - easily under $400 total.

Christian Studer   2004-12-30 23:47
Take a look at the Nvidia Quadro NVS 280 PCI, the card supports either dual VGA or dual DVI. provantage.com has it for US$ 170.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
ECarlson   2004-12-31 03:19
The NVIDIA Quadro NVS 280 PCI is also $158 at NewEgg ($116 for refurbished), but you have to buy the dual-DVI cable separately, and I don't know where to get it or how much it is. Does the card from Provantage come with the dual-DVI cable?

Orbitz   2004-12-31 07:14
The XFX 6600GT had dual DVI and is around $200 and is an awesome card. Available at Newegg btw.
Christian Studer   2004-12-31 08:46
The dual DVI cable is not included, but it's available from provantage.com for $25.

Christian Studer - www.realtimesoft.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Dual DVI video card for two Samsung TFTs???