Forums -> Multiple monitors -> How to attach 2 CRT's with ATI Radeon 9200
Alan   2005-01-13 12:35
I have two CRTs, and an ATI Radeon 9200 AGP card. I would like to try hooking up the second CRT, for photo editing. According to the specs of the card, it supports dual monitors, but only has one VGA, one S-vid, and one RCA output. How do I hook up 2 monitors to this card? I saw in the gallery page of this site, there is some one with 6 monitors hooked up to 3 Radeon 9200 cards, so I assume this is possible.

Thanks
ECarlson   2005-01-13 13:08
There are 9200's with dual monitor connectors (usually one VGA and one DVI, which can also be used as VGA with an adapter), but it sounds like your's doesn't have that. You're limited to one computer monitor and one TV monitor with that card. Keep in mind that a regular TV monitor doesn't have anywhere near the resolution of a computer monitor.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Alan   2005-01-13 13:26
Ok, thanks. Thats what I figured. Why do some 9200 cards have different connectors? Shouldn't they all be the same? Weird.

So now my question is...

Would I be better off getting another 9200 PCI card for a 100 bucks, or a GeForce FX 550 also for a 100 bucks, which has 2 VGA outputs?
ECarlson   2005-01-14 14:06
Personally, I'd go for the new single card with dual outputs, especially if it is AGP. But if you have an old PCI card sitting around, you could try using it with your existing card.

Also, lots of companies produce cards with ATI or NVidia chipsets, and different companies chose to put different connector combinations on their cards: That's one reason they're not all the same. Also, different people have different needs, so that's another reason all cards aren't the same.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Slackmaster K   2005-02-10 10:33
By now it may be too late for my input, but you can always hook up one of the other jacks into a VCR and use a TV for low-res apps like video. This works really well, because TVs tend to blur an image so you can't see the pixelation. Thus, if your videos are encoded at a decent bitrate, it looks like you're watching regular TV. Otherwise, yeah go buy a new card. One of my secondaries is a Radeon 7500 and its dual output works fine (DVI & VGA).

Slackmaster K
kevin@idxt.biz
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> How to attach 2 CRT's with ATI Radeon 9200