Forums -> Multiple monitors -> agp tnt + pci banshee combination hell
Charlie   2001-04-29 23:27
Hi Everyone

Just thought I'd tell you about my installation which goes wrong - does anyone know how to fix this?

My trusty ASUS 3400 TNT card (16mb agp) has always worked well (currently with NVIDIA det series 3 drivers), so I thought adding a PCI voodoo banshee to it would work. Lots of people have this config on the realtime soft database. I bought a 16mb Maxi Gamer Phoenix PCI card for use on my AbitBH6 (firmware SS) with 300a.

I installed it using the Maxi Gamer drivers, on my WinMe system. With AGP set to primary, the 2nd monitor initialises OK, then the init screen disappears, and in windows it does not work, giving the yellow ! sign on display manager. The details suggested to remove all adapters and reinsert them. Again, no joy. Changed to generic 3dfx drivers with the same problem. Even control panel display settings does not run!
So now try PCI set to primary, get blue screen on booting - windows protection error in CONFIMG.

On my 2nd hard drive I have Win98, so I tried the same techniques for this, and get different response - on AGP primary I get an endless loop of
rebooting just after the init message appears on monitor 2 (banshee). On PCI primary I get CONFIGMG error (and stops booting), but on black screen, not blue. It also moans about stacks settings in config.sys

Does anyone have any ideas? Do I now have to get a TNT PCI card instead?

Thanks

Charlie
Gunther Laure   2001-04-29 23:53
Try using other PCI slots for your Banshee. Looks like an interrupt conflict.

cu Gunther
Charlie   2001-05-01 08:30
Me again

Well I tried as you suggested - to put the banshee in another slot. I tried this on my Win 98 section. There was no change from usual until I removed all the cards except the 2 VGA cards, and the SBLive! card. It worked!!!! Replace the ATI TV wonder card, still worked. Put the ISA 3com network card in, and it does the windows protection error message, and refuses to go into windows. Worriyingly, even removing the network card this still happens. Oh well

Next, the WinMe disk. Even though the banshee is now in PCI slot 1, it behaves as it used to. Then I removed the TV, Live, net card. Great! It sort of worked! Device manager shows no problems! Except when I open the display control panel, it gives the usual error - 'windows cannot open desk.cpl due to an error' So the hardware is happy, but I cannot use it!

Replacing all the cards gave the same result as when the banshee was in the old pci slot. It is now in a bag, waiting for the final test - WinMe fresh install.

What a drag!

Charlie
Norman Brooks   2001-05-01 11:21
Get rid of ME ...........garbage OS.
If you aren't comfortable with NT like W2K then go back to 98SE but ME is garbage.

I used Creative Labs AGP16Meg TNT and a Creative Labs 3D Banshee for almost two years ... no problems. Works great in Win2K too.

Stepped up (or back, depending on how you look at it) to an ATI Radeon VE but the combo of those other two cards was a great one !

They were both next to each other and on the same IRQ so keep trying !

Get rid of ME

nbrooks@accesscable.net
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> agp tnt + pci banshee combination hell