Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Lag when using 2nd Video Card
RobotFace   2005-01-23 15:37
I had been using dual monitors for a long time with an AGP Radeon 7500. I just purchased a PCI Radeon 7000, so I could get a thrid monitor. I just set the 3rd monitor up and found to my dismay that I get a little "lag" when using it. For example if I take a large window and drag it around quickly it follows my mouse slow motion.

Any ideas? Is it because the video card is PCI and has less bandwidth then the AGP?

Anyone else running 2 video cards get this problem?

Setup:
2 19" LCDs, 1 17" LCD
Tantalus   2005-01-24 02:01
nope, i have three machines with 2 video cards installed (agp g400/450, the other pci is matrox millenium 2) and don't see any lag time on the pci card. i also have an ibm sff using onboard video and pci card driving dual displays and also no lag time on the pci display.
RobotFace   2005-01-26 15:37
Any ideas as to why I would be experiencing this? Should I try a different video card?
Slackmaster K   2005-02-06 03:27
I get that same problem, and I think it's based on the secondary display. For example, my radeon 9700 has no problems dragging windows between its two displays or over to the PCI display. When I drag something from the PCI over to the Radeon, it gets laggy. I think this problem is inherent to the card itself, because of an experiment I did back in the good old days. I had a Pentium-133 with three PCI cards, each on a separate monitor. They were all the same card, so there was no noticeable difference between the interfacing of any two of them.

On an unrelated topic, has anyone else noticed how spiffy the Starfield screen saver is on a landscape config (i.e., 3x1, 5x1, etc.)?

Kevin Connolly - kevin@idxt.biz
President, IDXT Computing
www.idxt.biz
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Lag when using 2nd Video Card