Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Span single image across dual monitors
Andrew   2005-01-30 11:02
HOw do I span a single desktop image across both monitors? Right now the image jus tiles itself on each.
Josh   2005-02-01 15:59
If you're just using windows without any special apps you simply select the image and set it to tile.

Although you cannot stretch the image. In other words you actually have to make the image the size you want. Taking a 1280x1024 image and setting it to tile won't work. You'd have to go and make it's res 2560x1024 and then select it.
Slackmaster K   2005-02-06 02:49
Okay, I experimented with this quite a bit. Here's what you do. First, figure the total dimensions of all monitors combined. That is, if you have two 1600x1200 and a 1920x1200 in a 3x1 wide-style config like I do, 5120x1200 will be your wallpaper dimensions. If you run two 1600x1200's side by side and a third 1600x1200 above them, it would be 3200x2400 with black space on the upper left and right corners. You get the idea. Set your wallpaper to tile and this will work just fine if your OS configures them to be in order (1, 2, 3, etc.) If your OS decides to act all wierd like my copy of XP Pro, you'll need to do some fancy photoshopping. For example, mine is a 3x1 running two 16x12 and a 19x12 on the right side. Windoze configures the right monitor as #1, so they go 2-3-1. Windoze starts displaying the wallpaper at the top-left of monitor #1 and works its way to the right and down from there via monitor numbers, therefore in my example system, the left monitor (#2) shows the image that should be to the right of #1, and #3 shows properly what should be to the right of #2. This can be fixed by opening an unwieldly wide photoshop document that will be shrunk by a factor of about 5 because Photoshop looks inaccurate when spanned. To fix this, I use the 1920x1200 for its main window and move the toolbars next door. Anyway, you'll need to create a manually set select-box by double-clicking on the select-box button, select the size of #3 (1920x1200 in my case), and move it to the left of the existing pic. I do this by creating a huge pic the way I want it to look, taking into account where the monitor borders occur, then posting them how they should look into the new document child window. How it "should" look will be odd, because it will look like somebody just scrolled the image to the left and part of it bled over to the other side of the pic. I am taking a passive interest in generating multi-monitor wallpapers. So far, I've had the motivation to do one. It can be found on my company's website in the Gallery section. I've included several configs for your perusal.

E-mail me.

Kevin Connolly - kevin@idxt.biz
President, IDXT Computing
www.idxt.biz
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Span single image across dual monitors