Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Tri-monitor setup with a widescreen in the center?
Ryan   2005-02-06 09:32
Hello, I am looking at a computer with 3 monitors, the center monitor being widescreen and the two side monitors being normal. I was wondering if an SLI setup would work well with something like 2 6800's. Also, what would be good monitors to use with the setup? I was looking at a HP L2335
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/monitors/tft/l2335_specs.html
for the center and two HP L2035's
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/monitors/tft/l2035_specs.html
panel as the specs are nearly identical and the hights are the same. I am just toying with the idea for now as this will be very expensive.
ECarlson   2005-02-06 10:27
3 monitors should work fine. Why do you need SLI?

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Josh   2005-02-06 11:07
SLI would work against you on this one. Since it uses two cards for one display. Meaning that you could only plug monitors into one of the two 6800 if you use SLI.
Ryan   2005-02-07 03:03
I have heard that SLI works with up too 4 monitors. Also I will probably only play games on the widescreen so when I play games I will assume that the video cards will switch too SLI mode. Does SLI with multiple monitors work like that?
Starius   2005-02-17 08:18
I use 2 PCI-Express 6800 GT cards to power a 3 Monitor + 1 TV desktop. It works very well.

The SLI setup should work just fine for you. As long as your widescreen monitor is the default monitor on the primary card because I think that will be the monitor used when SLI is in effect.

Also I want to point out (because it wasn't something I was aware of when I went down this route) that you must be using XP to take advantage of SLI. I prefer Windows 2000 to XP, so I am unable to utilize SLI itself.

(Incidently, one of the reasons I prefer 2000 to XP is that XP doesn't allow me to pick monitor refresh rates if it can't determine the monitor is capable of it. I use BNC cables to my main monitor which doesnt allow for that kind of bi-directional communication to the video card.)
ECarlson   2005-02-18 14:31
I think there are a few programs that will allow you to set whatever video settings you want regardless of what it detects (or doesn't detect) at the monitor. Maybe someone here has more info on these apps.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Tri-monitor setup with a widescreen in the center?