Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Radeon/Catalyst resolution limits
Slackmaster K   2005-02-10 01:31
Here's an unusual problem: When running the ISO Catalyst driver that came with my Radeon 9700, I can run both screens in extend mode at 2048x1536x32bpp with no problem. When I upgrade to anything newer (including 5.1), it won't let either go above 1600x1200. This includes clone, extend, and span (3200x1200) modes. I have disabled "hide video resolutions this screen cannot display" as well as checking for DDC maximums. Using the same monitors. In troubeshooting, I even went as far as removing the other ATI cards to no avail, so it's no a conflict with the other Radeon or Xpert 128.

Both before and after the driver update, I was running the same monitors and build of Win XP. Therefore, I know the monitors are able to handle said resolutions. Any ideas why newer drivers would decrease maximum resolution?

BTW an annoying problem with ATI's Catalyst Control Center I found: Not only will it not work with multiple Radeons, but it won't even open. It just spits out an apology. Maybe someday the book-learned geeks at Big Business will catch up with the practical-learned geeks of the rest of the world. Sigh.

Slackmaster K
kevin@idxt.biz
Tantalus   2005-02-10 04:09
your best bet would be to take it up with ATI's own tech support...get the answer straight from the horse's mouth.

knowing that 'newer' isn't always better, i've always been meticulous in keeping older driver versions around for all my hardware and esp. video cards. and unless the new version corrects and *existing* problem that you're having, 99 times out of 100, you're better off not switching.
Slackmaster K   2005-02-10 10:23
I've sent them six error mails in the past six months... they never respond, they never fix. ATI just plain doesn't care.

Slackmaster K
kevin@idxt.biz
Dana   2005-03-11 14:26
As a last resort, uninstall the CCC.

but first, there is a registry key that controls available resolutions. go to HKEY_Local_Machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\video\{long string of numbers in curly brackets}

In one of the subkeys that corresponds to your video card, there should be one or more REG_BINARY keys named DALNonstandardModesBCD1 2 3 etc.

see this guide. Refers to original Radeon, but still applies.
http://www.dtvmax.com/radeon_guide.htm
Slackmaster K   2005-03-12 16:46
Hey, spiffy it worked. Had to do it on all 5 adapters tho. Thx.

kevin@idxt.biz
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> Radeon/Catalyst resolution limits