Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 6600gt daul display?
shawn   2005-02-13 09:50
I am brand new to this, and did not see the answers to my question before posting so here goes.

I have the nvidia gigabyte 6600gt card with the most recent drivers 66.93 I believe, and I want to do a dual monitor setup.

I work mostly with video editing programs like premiere, and need the extra desktop space.

In the nvidia drivers I get the option to clone, span horizontal, span vertical, and single monitor option. None are what I am looking for.
I have tried them all, they all work, but not like what I need.

Here is what I want to do.
monitor one is my main desktop
monitor two is my 2nd desktop where I can drag either boxes or other apps to.

Is that possible with this program?
If so... how easy is it to remove this program if I need to?
Due to driver issues with mce etc it literally took me 2 weeks on phone with ms and the shop to get this machine working, and I don't wanna break it again.

running xp media center 2005
pIV 2.8 hyper
2g ocz 400 ram
2x raptor 10k 74g drives
nvidia 6600gt
shawn   2005-02-13 11:24
Well I did figure out how to get both monitors working properly, though this program does not seem to work with my 6600gt card.

When I open the program, it only see's one monitor, 2048x768, which is the "span horizontal" from the nvidia software.
If I turn that part of the nvidia software off, i.e. only single monitor, then it seems to actually turn the power on the 2nd monitor card output off, so that nothing can see it (dvi-vga adapter one).

Has anyone using the 6600gt figured this part out?
The only thing really driving me nuts is that my background img is spanned now, and my screen savers are all shot, which is why i want to still try and use this software.

thnx
shawn   2005-02-13 12:09
well it seems that the 6600gt when using the regular monitor output and the dvi with adaptor will only see it as one monitor.
Seems to make no difference what settings I choose no luck..

Is this actually the case when using the dvi on one and the regular on the other that windows will only see one monitor?

I installed the multimon, and even it only sees one monitor that is 2048x768. I've tried every mode in nview and multimon still only sees one monitor.

I'm totally out of ideas on this one and could use some help
ECarlson   2005-02-14 12:14
I don't know if you've fixed it yet, but you need to be in regular dual-independent monitor mode, then, in Windows Display Properties, you have to tell Windows to "Extend desktop onto this monitor" for the second display. Then you can reposition the monitors into any configuration you want, and any combination of settings, and it should work exactly like you want, for the most part. You don't need any special software other than NVidia drivers.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
khariv   2005-02-16 04:39
I had the same problem when I first installed my 6800 GT AGP and 5200 PCI cards. What you are looking for is a setting in the NVidia driver that tells the system to use the two monitors as separate. This is found under nView Display Mode - you need to set it to Dual View. Currently, you're probably set to Horizontal Span.

When I first installed, DualView was not an option, so Im not sure if its there for you or not. I had to uninstall the 66.93 drivers and then reinstall to get it to show up.

khariV
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 6600gt daul display?