Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3 monitors on a P3, Is it possible?
Martin Hanebach   2005-02-16 20:58
Im trying to get 3 monitor setup to work on XP.
Im using 3 seperate cards (1xAGP, 2xPCI) outputting to 3 17" monitors. All cards and monitors have been tested on there own and work perfect.
cpu - P3 800EB
m/b - ASUS P3B-F
AGP - Geforce 3
PCI - various S3 cards - Tried identicle Virge DX's and mixtures of trio's and other models.

I set the bios boot display as Pci, the machine boots up and displays this info thru the last pci card in the order,then switches to the agp card when windows starts (no problem stretching the desktop over 2 displays). it attempts to install the 2nd pci card and says "This device cannot start (code 10)" ive switched the cards round several times and they all work with the agp card and the drivers in XP.
I thought about manually assigning irq's in the bios but was looking for some more advice first.

Any help/suggestions are most appreciated.

M.
Tantalus   2005-02-17 00:22
i can assure you that a triple display utilizing 2 cards (1 agp, 1 pci) does work on a p3 system.

until recently when i upgraded to a new system, my primary machine was a tyan dual p3 system running a matrox g400 agp and a matrox millenium 2 pci card driving 3 18" LCD's. in addition to the 2 video cards, i also had two 3Com NICs and a sound card in the box, the os was win2000.

it sounds like you will need to either reserve irq's in the bios and possibly also under the device properties. it's also been my experience that the s3 pci cards are one of the most problematic to configure with other agp cards.
ECarlson   2005-02-18 14:26
As you have discovered, and as has been discussed here many times, you can only use one of the S3 cards at a time (at least in XP and 2K), since the S3 cards have to be primary when booting, and only one card can be primary.

- Eric, www.InvisibleRobot.com
Forums -> Multiple monitors -> 3 monitors on a P3, Is it possible?